Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Choking during letdown

Default Choking during letdown

I'm new to this board but not to breastfeeding.. Quick intro:

I'm Monica, mom of 3 girls, DD#1 BF for 16 months, DD#2 BF for 22 months and DD#3 is 5 days old and doing great

My only real problem is everytime I have letdown she starts choking and it takes a while to get over it.. I'm not sure what to do when she starts choking other than of course removing her from the breast.

any ideas?

Default Re: Choking during letdown

sounds like over active let down, (OALD)

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/fast-letdown.html

this site has suggestions to help

maybe just tweaking how you hold the baby will help with the choking.
    some babies do beter if they are more upright!
    How old is baby?
    Some moms find after baby gets older their milk supply even outs and baby gets beter at nurseing and they don't choke so much.
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/oversupply.html

I have OALD and my DS does the same. When I feel it coming or see it (whichever comes first....it sprays everywhere) I just press firmly on my nipples for several seconds...that slows the flow and makes it easier for DS to handle.

thanks so much for the advice.. Shes only 5 days old so I'm sure it will get better as my milk supply regulates better. i bought a boppy pillow yesterday and shes sitting higher now to nurse and it seems to help. I'm just scared because she stops breathing for a few seconds and then starts gasping for air. i always sit her upright but is there anything I can do to help her get through it better??

I had the exact same thing happen with my ds, and as soon as my milk let down I would detach him and let my breast spray into a cloth until it was a steady fast drip but not spraying anymore, then I would relatch him. He didnt like it but it usually only took a couple seconds and it was much better than him choking on my harsh let down. After a week or so it slowed down alot and he got much better at handling it. hth!
    Melanie

thanks a bunch I'll probably try that it sounds more pratical than pumping before nursing.. it takes 10 minutes just putting the pump together and we're not really on a schedule here. I can just imagine how mad dd would be if I had to pump first...lol