Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Safe medication to use while B/F?

Question Safe medication to use while B/F?

I am wondering if Preparation H suppositories are safe to use while b/f? Also is there a thread or website aimed at what foods and medications such as alcohol should be avoided?

TIA!

Default Re: Safe medication to use while B/F?

There isn't a list of foods that breastfeeding mom's should avoid. In fact, most breastfeeding mom's can eat anything they want. Alcohol needn't be avoided altogether and most medications, both over-the-counter and prescription are usually fine while breastfeeding. If you have a specific drug, you can always ask one of the Leader's here to look it up in Hale's for you.

This might also be of interest to you: (not LLL source) Is This Safe When Breastfeeding?

As for the Preparation H -- can you tell us the name of the active ingredient(s) in it? I'm not finding anything by the brand name.

Thank you Carol.

Active ingredients are:
    Cocoa butter 85.5%
    Phenylephrine HCl 0.25%
    Sharks Liver oil (?!) 3.0%

Thanks for the link to the resource too!!!

kellymom.com has a great list of medications, as well.

Cindy,
    I couldn't find anything for Prep H -- it's probably alright since it doesn't contain anything that isn't already approved for use in pediatric patients, plus you're putting it on your skin, not ingesting it. Phenylephrine HCl is a decongestant according to Hale's (and it's used in pediatric patients) but he only discusses it's oral use, not topical.

Call your doctor just to be certain.

I wish I were more help with this one!