Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Going from 5-10 min to 45?

Default Going from 5-10 min to 45?

My son use to nurse for 5-10 min and fall asleep and be content until 2 hours later when he was ready to eat again ( hes 3 weeks tomorrow). The last two or three days hes been nursing every 2 hours, or 3, and for 30-45min! Could that be growth spurt, or what? It makes me wonder if hes just not getting enough milk because my supply is dipping or what. When he was eating the 5-10 min sessions he was gaining weight and having yellow seedy dirtys...Now they are yellowish with some green, but hes still gaining. Im just so lost and have considered giving up so many times

Default Re: Going from 5-10 min to 45?

Sorry that you are having a hard time! I think that 3 weeks is a growth spurt. I wouldn't worry about it as long as your LO had enough wet diapers unless it continues for a week of two. If it is a growth spurt(and sounds like it is) it won't last, and things will be back to normal before you know it! Hang in there mama! Things will get so much easier and you will be so glad that you did!

Sounds like he is either increasing your milk supply or is starting to comfort suck... is he actively swallowing the whole time?

I know I'd love a little break during the day =p but my DS nurses nonstop - most of it is comfort sucking.

As for the green poo - it is normal to have color variations - but green poo could be a sign of not enough hind milk - make sure he empties one breast before you switch sides.

I am not too far ahead of you 5 weeks here

He nurses at LEAST 20 minutes on one side, im hoping that empties it! If he only nurses 10 min and becomes uninterested for a bit but wants more an hour later I usually go back to that same breast. In other words I always make sure hes nursed each breast 20 min or so before I switch. Esp with the OALD.

Part of its comfort sucking, I believe. But every now and then I hear swallows.