Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Stuffy nose?

Default Stuffy nose?

My daughter is five weeks old. When I feed her, I always observe the following pattern: after she nurses for 10-15 minutes I get an impression that her nose is congested and she has difficulty breathing, because she moves her nostrils and holds her breath. There are no symptoms of cold or nasal congestion at any other time. Can she have some breathing problem, or is it just the gas irritating her diaphragm?
    Another question: she never lets go of the breast on her own, but as she starts wiggling and making discontent noises after twenty minutes, I take her off the breast at that time. Is it normal at her age that she only nurses for about 20 minutes at a time?
    Thank you in advance.

Default Re: Stuffy nose?

My Gabe was like that in the beginning too - how long was your labor? Sometimes if they come out without much pushing they dont clear out their sinuses efficiently. I used the nasal bulb in the beginning just to make sure there was no mucus.

When Gabe wriggles and squirms at the breast I usually take that as a cue that he needs to be burped.

20 minutes is fine =) I was told at about that time the stored milk is expressed so baby should be getting all the hind milk =) Congratulations! Sounds like you two are off to a great start

Default Re: Stuffy nose?

Quote Originally Posted by gabeysmom View Post
    My Gabe was like that in the beginning too - how long was your labor? Sometimes if they come out without much pushing they dont clear out their sinuses efficiently.
    Wow, I'm glad I looked at this post! I don't have any advice for the OP, but my 5 month old DD is just starting to sound less stuffy. She's been stuffy since birth. I was at the hospital for 42 minutes before she was born, with about 5-10 minutes of pushing. It all makes sense now! Haha thanks gabeysmom!