Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: baby prefers bottle after having to pump, any suggestions?

Default baby prefers bottle after having to pump, any suggestions?

My DD is now 3 and a half weeks old. After the first five days of ebf my nipples got so soar the lactation consultant at the pediatrician office said I should pump until they get better, and then to go back in once they healed to re-latch her. It took just over a week for my nipples to heal enough to try and relatch her. I had been pumping and only had to supplement formula once. She did well with a bottle, and was sleeping for about three hours or so at a time, even up to 4 1/2 at night. Once I healed, the LC helped me latch the baby in the office, and feed her. She only feed for 15 minutes, but was asleep, and we couldn't wake her to try the other side. I still continued to pump some and BF some for a few days until we could get her ebf again, which is what the LC suggested. Well, now we have the problem that she will only nurse for 5-8 minutes fall asleep and then wake up screaming after 30-45 minutes. This happens all night. Sometimes while I am feeding her, she'll pull off and start screaming, and I have no idea why. It is really heart breaking to think she doesn't want to bf. I left a message with the LC, but am waiting to hear back. I would love to keep bf, but I can't keep it up like this. My husband and I are going crazy, and my husband is losing his patience with bf, he's ready to feed her formula from a bottle just to get her to sleep longer and not wake up screaming. I can pump and feed her a bottle also, but it is very inconvenient to do both, and my supply started going down when I was pumping. I've had plugged ducts and mastitis already - very painful- and that was when we started back on the breast. I tried to get her to eat more often to help with the pain, but it didn't work and I was still in a lot of pain, so I was having to pump to relieve the pressure still. I had quite a bit stored up, but her appetite has grown and she drank it all during her 10 day growth spurt.
    I don't know how to keep her bf long enough to keep her asleep. She seems exhausted all the time, and fights sleep. We have to walk around with her all night, and not put her down or she'll scream.
    Please does anyone have any suggestions? I'd really appreciate some encouragement also. I don't know how to keep it up and my sanity. I don't have to go back to work, so I don't have to worry about getting a supply stored up, but at this rate we can't even leave the house without her getting hungry by the time we get out of the door.

Default Re: baby prefers bottle after having to pump, any suggestions?

The first 6 weeks are probably the hardest! Babies want to eat constantly. I remember it seemed like it was impossible to keep my DD awake long enough to eat (she kept falling asleep at the breast) then would wake a little while later to eat again! I felt like I never got anything done but BF. But, you are still recovering and this may be nature's way of making sure you are sitting down and resting too. Breastfeeding is soothing for babies, which makes them sleep before they are finished eating. When my lo would start to fall alseep, I would move her off the breast to try to wake her, change her diaper, lift her arm which triggers the suck reflex (it is like a lever! ). It helps to have support. My DH has been great. Every time I start to get discouraged he would give me encouragement without pressure. If your DH can't do this, try to find another person who can. It helps a lot. The only thing else I can say, is it gets better and easier. We are at 6 months now and doing great (although I have had my moments!). As I said, the first 6 weeks are the hardest then it starts gradually getting easier. I remember being really discouraged at one point because I could not keep my DD awake. One of my co-workers emailed me to see how things were going and she said she remembered it being hard to keep her DD awake during the first few weeks! I had been thinking I was the only one with that problem! So you are not alone, others are going through similar things.

thanks for the encouragment! I have found a lot of support just reading the postings on this site. It really makes a difference to hear that others go through the same thing, and get through it alive. I worry about everything when it comes to my LO and I just want to be sure I do everything I can, that is why I want to figure this BF thing out and stick with it!! Thanks again!

have you thought about co-sleeping?
    that helps some moms get the sleep they need.

I was going to suggest co-sleeping as well.

You and baby will sleep better and so will your DH. My DH with our first wasn't supportive and I gave up BF and I was just heartbroken. I still feel horrible about not continueing. What helped my DH this time around, is I told him how important it was to me to BF and I really needed his support. He is like a totally different guy this time around!
    I co-sleep with our LO and was thining about putting her down by herself at night and DH didn't want me to just yet because he actually felt better knowing I was with her and she was happy.

To get your LO to feed longer, don't let him/her get into the sleep state. As soon as you see that happening, pick him/her up, change the diaper, anything to make them wake back up. Also, try rubbing him/her when they start to doze off or try pulling your nipple out. Normally, they will suck and hold on for dear life! lol. Just try not to let your LO get into that deep sleep state.

My LO, she's almost 5 weeks old now and she still only eats for 10 minutes at a time. I think I have a fast let down because she chokes a bit on it and swollows so quickly. She eats every 2-3 hours and sometimes at night she will go 5 hours without waking to feed. He/she will let you know when they've had enough to eat. Just be sure to keep watch on the diapers, make sure they are having enough wet and soiled diapers. If she/he is, then she's/he's getting enough.
    Last edited by Momto3sections; May 24th, 2007 at 10:52 AM.