Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: rice cereal

Default rice cereal

I thought I would try and see if DD was interested in eating some rice cereal.
    Well, I tried it with a spoon and it didn't go well. Which didn't suprise me. My DH then decided that maybe he would put it in a bottle and give it to her that way. I was so upset, but torn because I didn't want him to think that I am the only one in charge of her feeding decisions, so I let him try it. Of course that didn't go well either. Thankfully.
    But my problem is this. I SO don't want to give her cereal from a bottle, but I can't articulate why it is a bad idea. But I feel like I need to give reason to DH, not just my gut feeling.
    Can any of you tell me why giving cereal from a bottle it is a bad idea?

Default Re: rice cereal

I think that the research is that this may lead to obesity and that it may be a choking risk. That being said, I do know people who do it. Personally, I think solids should be spoon fed. Starting solids is just for practice for the first year. So, your lo is not practicing if he is getting it from a bottle .

heres the link for starting solids here at the web site:
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/NB/NBsolids.html

dr sears has some info on starting solids on his website:

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/3/T030100.asp
    http://www.askdrsears.com/html/3/T032000.asp

http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/so...ay-solids.html

heres something from that link about spoons
    NUTRITIP: First Spoon

We advise that baby's first "spoon" be your finger. It is soft, at the right temperature, and by this stage baby is very familiar with its feel. Your finger also knows if food is too hot. Few babies like to begin their feeding life with a silver spoon in their mouth. Metal holds the heat in, so baby has to wait longer for each bite as you cool the hot food by blowing on it. A hungry baby finds this infuriating! A coated demitasse spoon is a good starter utensil. Plastic spoons with smooth, rounded edges are best – and quietest when banged or dropped. Use shatterproof plastic bowls that can survive battering on the high-chair tray and numerous tumbles to the floor.

and this is something you might share with hubby
    NUTRITIP: Milk Plus

Consider solid foods an addition to, not a substitute for, breastmilk or formula, which are more nutritionally balanced than any solid food. This food fact is especially important for breastfeeding babies. For a breastfeeding baby, it's best to start solids slowly, so that they don't become a substitute for the more nutritious breastmilk. Also, solids fed at an early age can interrupt the supply-and-demand cycle, resulting in decreased milk production

Can any of you tell me why giving cereal from a bottle it is a bad idea?
    Nobody touched on this yet, so here goes:

Giving baby cereal from a bottle is a CHOKING HAZARD!!!!!!

If you give baby ANY solids before they've lost the tongue thrust reflex and are developmentally ready for solids, you run the risk of them choking as well as other risks as well. If you put the cereal in a bottle, no matter how thinly you think you've mixed the cereal, there is still a risk that baby will choke.

It is NEVER a good idea to give baby cereal in a bottle. Bottles are designed for liquids, and not for solids, and when baby is drinking from a bottle, baby is assuming that he/she is drinking a liquid, and might not be prepared for the thicker consistency or chunks that might choke him/her....and if baby can't eat cereal from a spoon, then baby isn't ready for solids yet. Check out the links from Andrea Ohio about solids.

Babies only need breastmilk or formula for the first 6 mos. Some babies can go even longer without a need for solids, depending on their developmental level.

So basically, if your baby is under 6 mos. old, then there is almost NO need for solids at all.

Do look into the links Andrea posted, and check to see if your baby has any of the other signs of solids readiness(I didn't catch how old your LO is...), and DON'T EVER PUT CEREAL IN A BOTTLE.

Putting cereal in a bottle may cause respiratory problems later because the baby can aspirate the cereal (since s/he is not ready for the thick consistency) and cereal in the respiratory system is not a good thing. Check out the link:
    http://www.drgreene.org/body.cfm?id=...detail&ref=561

This resource exlpains why cereal shouldn't be fed from a bottle:
    http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/so...ids-sleep.html

The bottom line is:
    *It's a choking hazard
    *Baby can't control his own intake, and it can lead to weight issues later in life
    *Cereal takes up part of the volume of milk, and thus baby gets less nutrition but more volume.

It's best to feed baby solids from a spoon or wait until baby is old enough to feed himself and mash up small bites between his gums.

Baby should show signs of physical readiness before solids are offered. Babies are usually ready about the middle of the first year (per the American Academy of Pediatrics recommendations).

Good luck!

Bottle feeding cereal is a bad idea - possible choking hazard. Also, your baby should learn how to eat with a spoon. It may take a couple of weeks before your baby gets use to the cereal but he/she will get use to it. I tried it for a week and it seem like more was on her clothes and face than eaten so I gave it a break for a week and tried again - she has been doing fine ever since. My daughter started on cereal at 4.5 months and it took her a couple of weeks to get use to it now she is 6 months and looks forward to breakfast - Also, I don't find that I am nursing any less after introducing solids. It just depends on the baby everyone is different. Good luck. Also, try making your own baby food it will help when your child transitions to table food.

Thanks everyone. I am definitely going to wait to try again with the cereal. It was probably more traumatic for me than it was for her...but still...I think I will wait.
    And I will definitely let my husband know about all those risks...its funny, he is convinced she is an "internet baby" how did people get advice about babies before the internet??? I guess they must have lived closer to family...(although some advice from family isn't great...hence the cereal in the bottle...)