Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which nipples for glass bottles?

Default Which nipples for glass bottles?

We are planning on switching to glass bottles and I was wondering which nipples are the best? I saw that Even Flow & Born Free come with a stage one nipple. Do you have to use their nipples? DD currently uses Avent with the stage 1. She is almost 5 months old & we have been lucky not to have nipple confusion yet (knock on wood). Also, does anyone have a glass bottle they recommend? Thanks for all of your help! I am a little nervous about how she will handle the change.

Loving my Beautiful High Needs Baby Girl born 12/28/06

Default Re: Which nipples for glass bottles?

Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!

Loving my Beautiful High Needs Baby Girl born 12/28/06

The only glass bottles I've seen are the traditional baby bottle size, not the wide-mouth. But from what I've seen and heard, any bottle nipple that's not wide-mouth should fit on these bottles. Lots of brands come in a stage 1/slow flow nipple. If your baby is already on silicone bottle nipples, you should stick with those type, but you might find that you have to try several different brands before you find one he likes.
    Shannon
    LLL Leader

Protect your privacy online; don't use your full name. Click My Alias at the top left corner.

I'm horrible at html and encoding links, so I apologize in advance for all the long links!

Smile Re: Which nipples for glass bottles?

If you find glass bottles that accomidate a wide nipple..let me know. Otherwise, the only nipple that will fit is a standard nipple. I gave DD a standard sized nipple a couple of times, I never saw it adversly (sp) affect our nursing, you never know though. You can use the standard NUK nipple with glass though.

I found some!!
    www.newbornfree.com
    Yes, they are a bit expensive, but for my (unborn) child.....price is second to safety. Dh says we are buying some of the glass, and some of the plastic to try when the baby comes.

I read somewhere that some of the immunoglobins stick to the glass, so baby doesn't get them. Any leaders have any info?

I've read places, and even in my textbooks that that is not true.

Quoted from Lynn's link:

After expressing milk into a clean container, milk should be stored in a tightly closed glass or plastic container. There have been controversies about what type of container will best protect the nutrients and immunity factors in human milk. Current research suggests that human milk can safely be stored in glass or plastic receptacles with no significant nutrient loss. THE BREASTFEEDING ANSWER BOOK recommends glass, clear hard plastic (polycarbonate), and cloudy hard plastic (polypropylene), in that order, as storage containers for freezing milk.

Thanks, Lynn, for letting us know!

We used the regular evenflo glass bottles we found at Baby Depot. I used NUK silicone or the nipples from the Medela bottles.

At first my DD could only take an Avent nipple, but as she got stronger, we were able to switch over. If you are going into daycare, I would check with your provider as to if they allow glass bottles.