Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Baby due in 4 weeks, have questions

Default Re: Baby due in 4 weeks, have questions

Quote Originally Posted by Momto2
    May I really insist that my 2nd dd be brought to me immediately? (I am having a repeat c-section and will be in recovery, again.) In what cases would her nurse(s) try to supplement with formula? Can they do that without my knowledge? How do I make it so it cannot happen without my knowledge/consent?
    Since you are doing a repeat c-section, I would think that you would go in for pre-op paperwork which will let the hospital know about your intent to breastfeed only and rooming in. That's how it was for me this time around. If your records actually states that you don't want any formula given to your baby then they need to follow through with that.

And, I do remember that I wanted my first dd to be in the room with me as much as possible, and her nurse(s) kept discouraging that, so I could get some rest, because their reasoning was I was not going to get much rest once I got home. I didn't care about resting; I wanted her with me. Any thoughts, suggestions about this?
    Besides the pre-op paperwork, I would make sure to talk to your nurse about having your baby rooming in with you during your stay. I made the rookie mistake with my DD so I made sure to put my foot down this time around. Hope all goes well with your delivery.

Momto2,

I am in VA also. If I may ask, what hospital will you be at? I had my repeat c-sec at Mary Washington 15 mths ago and found that lot of things are under the docs control. I had a doula and my dh with me. My dh was with ds #2 the whole time and the doula was with me the whole time. I was really nice having someone with me once they took my baby and stiched me up. We were probably separated about an hour maybe an hour and a half. Let all docs, nurses and any one else that walks by know what you want for your baby. Give copies of your birth plan to everyone before your c-sec date and talk with your doc about everything and ask about what the hospitals policies vs. 'highly suggested' things are.
    Jennifer
    Wife to my Marine
    Crunchy mom to my wonderful boys
    Michael 6/02 c-sec
    Willem 1/05 c-sec
    Gavin 6/07 amazing water homebirth VBAC

Quote Originally Posted by Momto2
    Could a LLL member (leader?) actually be available to me while we are still in the hospital? How would I go about arranging that? I did not have the support of LLL back then, because I simply didn't know about it.

And, I do remember that I wanted my first dd to be in the room with me as much as possible, and her nurse(s) kept discouraging that, so I could get some rest, because their reasoning was I was not going to get much rest once I got home. I didn't care about resting; I wanted her with me. Any thoughts, suggestions about this?

Thank you for any input you might have!
    I'd ask the hospital if they have a lactation consultant on staff. They are paid medical professionals, whereas LLL are volunteer, so I think the hospital is more likely to send the LC to your room than an LLL leader. Both hospitals I delivered at had one that came to visit me without being asked, though the first one barely poked her head in the door, the second was really good about making sure that I was doing ok, and told me to ring the bell if I wanted her to witness a feeding, which I did. Her office was right on the maternity floor, and so is the third LC that I've met, here in a closer hospital. I didn't deliver here, but have found out that she is also a labor and delivery nurse outside of her LC office hours.

About the rest...If they start badgering you to take dc away "to let you rest," I'd look them in the eye and firmly insist..."I'll rest a lot better if she's right here with me!!" If they don't understand from a bf point of view, then let them think you're a paranoid worry-wort.

Like the other poster, I didn't get much rest in the hospital either. I did room-in, except I allowed ds to be taken to the nursery between night feedings. They did a good job of bringing him back...in fact, they brought him back sound asleep a couple times because they didn't want him to go longer than 3hrs between nursing. (That sleepiness didn't last long, just the first 24 hrs or so.) But yeah, it seemed like every hour they were either checking my vitals, his vitals, or bringing him to nurse, or bringing my meal, or it was time for a test or meeting the pediatrician, etc. Literally every single hour, like they couldn't coordinate things to take both our temps at the same time, but instead had to stagger it just enough to disrupt my chances of sleep. But it was only that bad the first 24hrs.

If you are worried that baby might need sugar-water, you could still make a sign and just modify it to say--"Please obtain permission from mommy or daddy before giving any formula or sugar-water. And absolutely no bottle nipples or pacifiers, please!" They can use a cup, dropper, or oral syringe if it becomes necessary.

One last thing--since you know you are having a C-sec...I read that there is a good chance that you will be given antibiotics routinely. Buy some good refrigerated acidophilus (the stuff that cultures yogurt), and put enough for your hospital stay into a baggie to take with you when it's time. If you forget, order yogurt with your meals. I had antibiotics in my IV, and we had the most horrible case of thrush that didn't clear up until 3-4 months, but the acidophilus is great prevention. Stay on it for at least a little while after the antibiotics are done. (Thrush is a yeast infection of baby's mouth and your nipples and sometimes milk ducts. I was leaking like crazy, so the moisture and antibiotics did me in, and ds caught it before I even realized I had it.)

Quote Originally Posted by Quiteria
    I'd ask the hospital if they have a lactation consultant on staff.

One last thing--since you know you are having a C-sec...I read that there is a good chance that you will be given antibiotics routinely. Buy some good refrigerated acidophilus (the stuff that cultures yogurt), and put enough for your hospital stay into a baggie to take with you when it's time. If you forget, order yogurt with your meals. I had antibiotics in my IV, and we had the most horrible case of thrush that didn't clear up until 3-4 months, but the acidophilus is great prevention. Stay on it for at least a little while after the antibiotics are done. (Thrush is a yeast infection of baby's mouth and your nipples and sometimes milk ducts. I was leaking like crazy, so the moisture and antibiotics did me in, and ds caught it before I even realized I had it.)
    I have contacted and talked to the LC at the hospital a couple of times, so we're good to go as far as she is concerned. She seems to be a really upbeat and supportive person--much better than the LC I had first go around!

Thank you so much about the suggestion of acidophilus (sp?). I have taken that before to avoid yeast infections while taking antibiotics, so I know exactly what you are talking about. Also, my 1st dd did have thrush, and it did get on my nipple, and I remember so well what a pain that was. I had to use a swab to put genetian violet (sp?) in her mouth and on my nipple.

Also, to the lady in VA, I am delivering at Winchester Medical Center. I will take your suggestions under advisement as well. Thank you so much.

Just so y'all know...I started having contractions yesterday. I went to Labor and Delivery at the hospital, and my cervix is not dilated at all, and the contractions are not "impressive", so said the OB on-call, so they sent me home after giving me IV fluids. Today is the beginning of week 37, by the way. I have an OB appt. today with the doc who is going to do the c-section. The on-call doc yesterday said they usually want to wait 'til at least week 39 before doing the c-section, especially with babies born to mothers with gestational diabetes. I think the explanation was that the baby not be fully developed enought b/c of the diabetes? That confused me a little bit, because I thought babies with diabetic mothers actually get really big. Anyway, I will ask about that at my appt. today, too.

Again, thank you all so much for your suggestions, encouragement and support!

Oops...almost forgot! I do have 3 phone numbers of LLL Leaders sort-of close by. I have not called anyone, yet, but I will. I plan to take the numbers to the hospital with me, too.

Yes, feel free to call an LLL Leader to come see you at the hospital. This is your choice and has nothing to do with staff! Many Leaders are happy to do home visits, or visits to whereever you are at the time. But be aware that some do not do home visits since it is not actually required. Good luck and happy birthing!

Update: I am on bedrest to hopefully help keep the contractions from progressing. However, we did go ahead and schedule a repeat c-section for May 4. I found out that the concern is that the baby's lungs might not be fully developed yet, b/c of the diabetes, so they want to try to put it off for as long as possible. The OB said that even 5/4 might be a little too soon, but he is willing to do it then.

I have given instructions to DH about what I want to happen once the baby is born--if they will not bring DD to me in recovery for whatever reason, he is to go with her. Plus, I plan to have a sign alerting everyone not to give her a paci or anything, that she is to be exclusively breastfed. And, at the pre-op appt. next week, I will go over with the OB what my wishes are, too.

So, now I wait.... Thank you all for all of your support. I will check-in again either before the baby is born or after.