Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Milk Supply very low during evening

Default Milk Supply very low during evening

I'm ebf my dd for 12 weeks.Suddenly I see milk supply is very low in evening .She is constantly pulling off and I don't feel full at my breast.
    She goes to sleep crying and without eating anything.This last for 6 hrs and after that evrything is normal.
    Since she does'nt want to feed when supply is low I realy don't know how to improve milk supply.Whether pumping will help ?

Thanks
    Mangai

Default Re: Milk Supply very low during evening

Pumping generally won't help this type of situation as it may be your breasts adjusting to a period of time during the day when your baby is just not that interested in nursing.

If she is having plenty of wet/poopy diapers and seems generally satisfied during that time, it may not be an issue, although it could help to offer the breast at every opportunity.

About the crying to sleep...some mothers find that lying down with baby at bedtime to nurse can help. If they are resistant, they may be more willing when they are sleeping and feeling cuddly.

Most women perceive their supply to be lower in the evening -- it is probably because baby nurses a lot during that time and so her breasts aren't getting full in between feedings. Plus babies tend to be fussy in the evenings, wanting the breast, then not wanting it, etc.

It would be virtually unheard of for your milk supply to suddenly be diminished unless there was some sort of underlying reason -- reduced breast stimulation, dehydration, medication (but for dehydration & medication use in mom then she'd see her supply diminish overall and not just in the evening).

I'd suggest that you simply continue to offer your breast when your baby is fussing. That said, baby could be teething, could be going through a growth spurt or could otherwise have some sort of undetected illness.

As LLLErin mentioned above, as long as baby is having wet diapers and is otherwise active, alert and meeting her milestones during the other times of the day, then things are probably just fine - she just happens to be fussy.

Let us know how things are going!

Thanks for all the responses.I will keep trying and let me see how things are going

I had a problem with ds doing the same thing in the evenings. I had to put him down, massage my breasts and do a warm compress. After we were both calmed and relaxed i would put ds back on my breasts, and it worked. I think I was not having a letdown fast enough for him and he was getting frustrated. I really think the deep breaths and warm compresses helped alot.