Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Night weaning and weight loss

Default Re: Night weaning and weight loss

My DS also wasn't eating much solids at 13 months (I think contributing to anemia) but has since picked up. Things we changed: not nursing right before a meal, eating with us at dinnertime, self-feeding with a spoon (esp. yogurt, oatmeal, and sweet potatoes). Sometimes when he slows down on his own at dinnertime we cheat a little by giving him something to play with in his hands (like the food grinder) and then he'll usually be content to be spoon fed a bit more. I feel a bit guilty about this as I'd rather he self feeds, but this is how I get more high quality iron rich food into him (sometimes ground up and mixed with jarred sweet potato, which he loves).

Have you tried chick peas and lentils? And maybe hummus? I didn't see them on your list, but they're great sources of protein and iron. And how about olive oil? I douse most of he veggies in olive oil so he's getting some more good fat. Oh, how about sardines? Jeremy loves them, and they've got tons of good stuff: protein, calcium, omega-3 fats. There a bit on the salty side, but I think its okay occasionally if the rest of the diet is low salt.

Good luck, I know its tough to see him losing weight. But Jeremy turned a corner on solids just a few months older than Luke is now.
    Annie
    Mama to Jeremy Daniel (12/10/2005)

I'm a late cloth convert...and you? :tumbsup

Quote Originally Posted by luke's mom View Post
    OK, you asked....here's my list of foods I've tried.....
    cereals (all types of chex, O's ect), whole grain crackers, kidney and black beans, olives, oranges, blueberries (dried), sweet potato, avocado, banana, butternut squash, peaches, pears, apples, cherries, whole grain bread, hot dogs (turkey or all beef - skinless), chicken, turkey, green beans, peas, zucchini, yellow squash, strawberries, yogurt (soy), lima beans, grapes, ham, cucumber, cranberries, watermelon, stuffing (without spices)), pancakes, broccoli, asparagus, chicken nuggets, pasta with soy butter. The ones in blue he's currently eating; those in red are hit or miss and all others he won't touch right now. I'm up for ideas! He prefers "dry" things. Doesn't like mashed or "wet" foods that he has to touch. He also has a dairy sensitivity so I have to stay away from cheese/milk products.
    How about, Rice, Rice cakes, Sweet potato fries(they are dry and can be grabbed) veggie sticks, (they are dry and crunchy)Artichokes, Dried cranberries, baby carrots and some sort of fish? I didn't see these things on your list and we keep them all in our rotation with pretty good results. He would eat artichokes every night (and so would I) if we could afford them!

Way too lazy for formula

Thanks for starting this thread! My guy weighed 23 1/2 pounds at nine months (what a chunker!) and 24 1/4 pounds 9 months later. The doctor said not to worry but I do (just like all of the other moms here).

It sounds like your fella enjoys lots of the same foods my DS does. Others we have good results with that aren't on your list are baked, flavored tofu (tofu-kan or soy boy) and quinoa. Right now DS really likes red food and crunchy food. Raw red pepper strips are a big hit!

I wish I could be more helpful!

Since he likes pancakes you could try "fattening" them up a bit by adding some ground flax and/or canola oil to the batter.