Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Night weaning and weight loss

Red face Night weaning and weight loss

As many of you well know Lucas and I have struggled with our nights his whole life. It's not just the # of times he up but the effort and frustration it takes to sooth him back down (taking anywhere from 30 min to 2 hrs each waking!). B/c of this I rarely am able to patch together 2-3 hrs of sleep a night. Like many of you, I am exhausted beyond words and never imagined I'd still be doing the "newborn thing" at 13.5 months.

I have had some success with night-weaning in the past. I have tried it twice; once he slept through the night 9X! Those were the only 9 good nights of his life. It is also fairly simple for us. After a night or two of protesting other ways to get him to sleep he accepts the new "rules".

Here is my problem......He gets a lot of his calories at night and each time I have night-weaned he has lost weight so I go back to nursing 4-6+++X a night. He is VERY active and is not a good solid food eater. It's not that he picky, just has no interest in eating. It is a struggle everyday to get anything in him. Our days are consumed with trying to feed him. Our ped is keeping a closer eye on him b/c he has rapidly dropped from the 97th to the 15th %. He nurses on-demand at least every 2 hrs during the day (only after I attempt solids).

So here's my quandry, I need some sleep! Night-weaning works. BUT, I can't have him losing weight. Is this solid food thing ever going to click with him? Anyone else having/had a similar problem?

Jennifer
    Amazed and Proud mom of Luke (Lucas) - 4/5/2006; 9 lbs 12 oz , 22in
    Wife to best friend Carl - 11/4/2001

Default Re: Night weaning and weight loss

I obviously wouldn't advocate starving your child...BUT...if you night-wean say for a week straight, will he then increase solids during the day? Like maybe give it more than a few days to see if he realizes that he's hungrier and starts to eat during the day? Even if it means he loses a little...do you think that he'd catch on and eat?

Shiloh is SUCH a strong-willed child that it can take a few days of something unpleasant to figure out that he is hungry. Just an idea. Sorry I don't have much help to offer.
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

Thanks Leslie. That is what I'm trying to do this time - wait a little longer b/f I give in. Like you said, my hope is that he will accept more food during the day b/c he'll be hungry. We're on day 3 right now, though, and all he wants to do is nurse more often. It's nearly 3 pm now and we've only been able to get down a small dollar-sized pancake and two bites of banana. Yet we've offered MANY other things.

I'll try not to get discouraged for a few more days...........

Jennifer

Hi Lucas Mom,
    I had a similar concern few days ago since my DD was nursing mostly in night and took less food during day.I dropped one by one feeding at night and tried to increase solid food.It will take sometime for it to work.Now my DD's solid intake has increased and we are down to 2 nursing at night except some nights where she will go back to her original mode.I think we need to be patient and believe they will start eating food eventually. I did this because I wanted to move my DD to daycare and I was not pumping milk for her so I wanted her to take more solids during day time.Anyway Good Luck .
    Mangai

Quote Originally Posted by Mummy View Post
    97-15% is a huge drop. Has his weight went down or just slowed? Our boy did the total 180, went from the 3rd or lower to the 25%, seems he likes his food now
    He slowed (or rather, stopped gaining). He has only gained few ounces total since he was 9 mos old (almost 5 mos). But he is growing up and remains very tall for his age. He's happy and healthy and I'm trying not to worry but......I'm a mom.

Oh, also, Luke WILL NOT accept anyone but me at night, whether or not DH is bearing BM in a sippy-cup. That's my own fault since I have always taken on night duty, but it's something I'm stuck with now.

I am going to hold off weighing him for a week. Of course, I'll go right back to nursing all night if I need to.
    Last edited by luke's mom; May 20th, 2007 at 01:12 PM.

Jennifer

This is just an idea, and he may be too young to understand something like this, but what if you tried night-weaning just part of the night. You could let him nurse a few times at the beginning of the night and then after a certain time no more nursing until morning. Or, you could do it the other way around. You'd need some sort of cue for him to understand when it nursing was OK and when not (you could have a night light that went off at a certain time or something like that--if the light is off, "nursies" are sleeping and will wake up in the morning).

Ah, Luke's Mom, I could have written your posts! My ds is 14 1/2 mo and we've gone from the 97th percebtile down to the 25th for weight. He's still about 55% for his height. Big guy. 31 inches tall and we're down from 22 1/2 pounds to 21 pounds.....

He's in daycare fulltime and I send 12-16 oz everyday but he just doesn't suck it all down. I put it in his oatmeal every day but so far, ds is resistant to finger foods and other solids. He's also allergic to dairy, so I'm terrified of not getting my milk into him somehow. However, he has always been a bad sleeper. I went to co-sleeping for half the night and he definitely reverse-cycles. Still, he's up every 1-3 hours all night, most nights. Four hours feels like a miracle.

Hang in there and let us know if it works. I'm very tempted to try the pp suggestion- holding off nursing at just certain times of the night, say from 12-4 as a start. Most nights I'm just too tired to try instituting anything new. We'll see!

Smile Re: Night weaning and weight loss

Oh my goodness I was just coming on here to post about night weaning too!

You know, I found that as long as she did not loose more than 2 lbs - the dr was not worrried. And when I do not feed her at night - she will start to eat more in the AM.

God luck!!

Jennifer--what foods are you feeding him? Maybe we could throw out some suggestions for high calorie foods that he might love! Just a thought.

Also, I know what its like to have a baby drop off the charts...unfortunately, we couldn't attribute it to much of anything. But, I would give it some time, if you really want to night wean. Can you set an increment of time aside, like 5 hours, during the night, where you don't nurse, but nurse the rest of the time, or is he one of those all or nothing kind of kids? That worked for us, and Haylee has been gradually sleeping better and better!

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

Quote Originally Posted by epbrown View Post
    Jennifer--what foods are you feeding him? Maybe we could throw out some suggestions for high calorie foods that he might love! Just a thought.
    OK, you asked....here's my list of foods I've tried.....
    cereals (all types of chex, O's ect), whole grain crackers, kidney and black beans, olives, oranges, blueberries (dried), sweet potato, avocado, banana, butternut squash, peaches, pears, apples, cherries, whole grain bread, hot dogs (turkey or all beef - skinless), chicken, turkey, green beans, peas, zucchini, yellow squash, strawberries, yogurt (soy), lima beans, grapes, ham, cucumber, cranberries, watermelon, stuffing (without spices)), pancakes, broccoli, asparagus, chicken nuggets, pasta with soy butter. The ones in blue he's currently eating; those in red are hit or miss and all others he won't touch right now. I'm up for ideas! He prefers "dry" things. Doesn't like mashed or "wet" foods that he has to touch. He also has a dairy sensitivity so I have to stay away from cheese/milk products.

Quote Originally Posted by epbrown View Post
    Also, I know what its like to have a baby drop off the charts...unfortunately, we couldn't attribute it to much of anything. But, I would give it some time, if you really want to night wean. Can you set an increment of time aside, like 5 hours, during the night, where you don't nurse, but nurse the rest of the time, or is he one of those all or nothing kind of kids? That worked for us, and Haylee has been gradually sleeping better and better!
    He's an all or nothing baby. I've tried setting limits at night, usually the 12-5am. He can't tell time though and gets frustrated when I'll nurse him sometimes but not others.
    Last edited by luke's mom; May 22nd, 2007 at 06:53 PM.

Jennifer