Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: so many questions?!?!

Question so many questions?!?!

I am a brand new mommy-I have a 10 day old baby boy whom I am breastfeeding. When is it ok to allow him to sleep a little longer than 3 hours at night? For the most part, he awakes on his own every 2 1/2 to 3 hours to feed, but there a few instances when I need to wake him up for a feed.
    Also, my right breast seems to be producing slightly more milk than the left and becomes very uncomfortable-I have been pumping some out (just enough to feel some relief), but I wanted to know: won't this keep my milk supply at this higher amount (if I keep pumping some out)?? And how long does it take for your body to adjust to the supply/demand? Breastfeeding is sooo much more involved than I thought it would be-I am kinda obsessed with it...please tell me it gets easier!!!!

Thanks in advance for any advice/comments!

Default Re: so many questions?!?!

oh yea! it sure does get easier.
    Don't be afraid to call your local leader with your questions shes around to help!
    how's babies wet diapars? And weight gain.
    I woud try to feed at night if I was awake anyways like to get up to go to the potty.
    You'll get the hang of things!

Smile Re: so many questions?!?!

Thanks for the quick response Andrea!! LO's wet and dirty diapers are adequate...usually needs a change every feeding. As far as his weight gain, we have a ped's appt. tomorrow, so we'll see how much he's gained in the past week....he did gain 2 ounces in two days (after discharge from hospital to ped's appt. two days later)....he is feeding much more and much better since that appt., so hopefully he's gained more!!

At my one week appt my pedi said to just let him sleep. And I found he never slept longer than four hours and then fed more often at other times during the day to get in those 8-12 feedings they need per 24 hours. You'll know after your weight check if that's something you can start doing. As long as he has enough wet and poopy diapers and is gaining I say let him sleep!

YES IT GETS MUCH EASIER! This may sound like a long time but I'd say give it 'til at least 3 months (or longer) until your supply evens out. If you pump your body will get the message to make more so you're right, pumping is probably making the problem worse. Do you always start on your right breast by chance? If your baby nurses on both sides each time, you should always start the next feeding on the side you used second during the last feeding. This is because the baby is usually hungrier at the beginning of the feeding (obviously) so they take more out of the first breast and may not eat as aggressively at the second breast. So if you start with the second breast the next time, they should even out a bit better.

Anyways, my son is now 7 months old and after a slew of problems in the early weeks, we are LOVING bfing now. When he looks up at me and smiles during a feeding it's just precious! And totally melts my heart of course. Good luck!

Anne- Mom to two active boys: Henry 10/06 and Jamie 4/09

Looking for an LLL leader in your area? click:
    http://www.llli.org/webindex.html

confused about abbreviations? check this out:
    http://forums.llli.org/showthread.php?t=807

I think it does get easier sort of. But I'm also a little obsessed with it. I feel like I spend all my time worrying about my supply and her latch and how she sometimes seems to prefer the bottles to me (I assume because there is no wait). I work outside the home full time so I am also always pumping at work, where I worry about different things like arranging my meetings around pumping, and counting the ounces.

Its weird, it is so worth it, but there is no way to do it without being 100% committed. It some ways it is so much easier than formula, but in other ways, it might be harder (mothers who formula feed probably don't stop work 3 times a day for 20 minutes each time, and they probably don't have to bring ice packs to work for storage).

But as for your uneven production, I think thats just the way some people are. I'm like that, when I pump at work I get 1/2 ounce more from the left side all the time. And it also lets down faster (so my daughter perfers that side). I have done everything I could think of to even things out, and I talked to a leader about it and did all her suggestions. But still, uneven. I've decided to let it go.

The IBCLC I saw said we needed to wake him to feed every 3 hours until he regained birth weight. once he was at birth weight, we could feed on demand.

Yes, that will keep your supply up. I believe you switch from hormonal to demand production at about 3 weeks, but I could be wrong on that one, so don't quote me.

You switch from hormonal to demand between 30 to 40 hours after delivery. Here is a link about that if you are interested.

www.kellymom is a good site its helped me with alot of questions!! good luck and dont give up