Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: BF bb losing weight

Default BF bb losing weight

Hi, I'm new to this forum. I've posted something similar in another thread but would like to seek some advice here. Thousand apologies if this is a little long.

My ds will turn 7 mths in a couple of weeks time. He was exclusively breasfed for the first 6mths and i introduced solids (mainly cereals) a couple of weeks back. He has always been a low eight bb, around the 10th percentile.

Ok, to cut the long story short. I returned to work a month back. During the day when im gone, he has been taking very little ebm (approximately 4-5ounces) for the whole day. I was not very worried. Folks suggest that I 'let him starve' and that 'bbs will eat when they are hungry'. So i let it be.

However, during the last PD visit, his weight fell below the 3rd percentile. The PD even warned me if it continues, his development will be affected!
    He suggested I add more cereal to his meals since he refused milk. I did, and the past two days he started having constipation!

He feeds well during the weekends, and Ive even taken to waking him up in the middle fo the night to feed him (he sleeps throught hte night). However, he is still not putting on weight! Recently he even seems to be rejecting solids. Im really at a lost. What can I do? Add oil to his milk?

Default Re: BF bb losing weight

It is not uncommon at all for babies to thin out when they start becoming more active.

My son fell from 50th percentile to 10th between his 4 and 6 month visit....the doctor said it was a huge problem and he wanted to do tests....I got a second opinion, and the new doctor says he is perfect, and that babies become leaner when they start becoming active. No tests...no weight checks...no supplements......he is perfect

I would get a new doctor

check out a yahoo group called AP_DOCTOR_REFERRAL, thats where I found mine here is the link...http://groups.yahoo.com/group/AP_Doctor_Referral/

or check out http://www.mothering.com click on discuss in the upper left...then click finding your tribe...then click on your area. Once you have an account set up ask if anyone in your area knows of a good doctor.

Emilee
    Wife and Mommy
    DS born on Aug 4th 2006 @ 8 lbs 14 oz and 20 inches
    DD born at Home on May 10th 2008 @ 8 lbs 14 oz and 20 inches

Are you using a bottle or sippy cup to feed the milk?

Does he seem happy and content? How is his length and head circumference? If those are fine, I would chalk it up to just a normal slowing of growth. My first son dropped from 50% to 10% at his 6 month appt. He kept on dropping until he hit .1% at 10 months. I was worried and obsessed, but there was truly nothing wrong with him--he was just a skinny baby. The kellymom site has the growth charts for bf babies--check it out--you might find that your son does still drop in percentiles, but it won't nearly be as alarming.

Angela

Why is he only taking 4-5 ounces of EBM? Is this what you provide, or does he refuses the bottle? That sounds little to me... assuming an 8-hr day. I would rather try to increase the milk he is drinking rather than increasing cereals... Better calories. Good luck...

I'm sorry you are having concerns about your LO's growth. As a mom with a son who had weight gain problems, I know it can be VERY unnerving. What was your son's actual amount of weight gain for the time period when he dropped in percentile? A drop from the 10th to below the 3rd may not actually be that huge of a drop, statistically (depending on how far below the 3rd he dropped and how fast). *Average* weight gain for a BF baby from 4-6 months is about 4-5 ounces per week, and from 6-12 months it is about 2-4 ounces per week.

How much nursing can you get in between the time you pick him up and bedtime? While you are away, you could try having the DCP offer some other high calorie solids besides cereals. Avocados are a great one--very calorie dense, high in good fat, and also lots of vitamins. The DCP can try mixing EBM in with the solids and maybe get some more in him that way. More breastmilk will help with constipation (cereal can be very constipating). Olive oil and canola oil are both healthy and can be drizzled on solids (once he is taking veggies, bread, pasta, or something like that) or even mixed in cereal. I used pureed prunes to help with constipation as well. HTH!

His brain circumference is around 50th percentile and height around the 25th. The PD commented that this is 'no good', as his weight needs to catch up with the rest of his growth. He commented that if ds doesnt put on some weight, then his height will be affected, then his brain circumference, and slowly his development!!!!! other than that. he is happy, contented and very very active. He sleeps well, pu and pm well.

I leave more than enough ebm with my ILs (who is taking care of him) when Im away. He just doesnt like the bottle that much. He will take water from sippy but not milk. ILs have to feed him every hourly, ounce by ounce. Sometimes, they have to resort to using the spoon. They often commented that he is very difficult during meal times.

Angela, that must be rather alarming for you when your lo suddenly drops so much in weight.

I am trying avocado, and maybe some olive oil mixed into the cereal. Thanks for the advice!