Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: New Mama--questions about sore nipples

Default New Mama--questions about sore nipples

I just had my son 2 days ago, and he is a great nurser! I am having some nipple soreness & bleeding & need some advice. It's not excruciating pain, but not comfortable. I am using Lansinoh and cloth breast pads; also air exposure. I know he is latched appropriately--he is getting lots of colostrum (he had 4-5 meconium diapers his first day!); his lips are flanged, etc.--so, is this soreness just from the newness of nursing?

Any tips?

thanks!

Default Re: New Mama--questions about sore nipples

Here is a link about managing sore nipples. http://www.kellymom.com/newman/03a-sore_nipples.html I personally think that sore nipples to some degree is normal and will go away with time. Where are you bleeding from, do you have a cracked nipple. Most of the time, pain and bleeding are a sign of a problem, maybe improper latch. Maybe you should see a lactation consultant or LLL leader to make sure everything is right. It will save you some pain in the future.

I'm not an LC, but I wouldn't think that bleeding nipples are a good thing, either. Soreness--yes, but bleeding? Not so sure about that. Maybe give a quick call to an LLL leader for some free advice might be in order.....I'd do it sooner than later, just in case there really is a problem, then it doesn't get worse for you.

Hang in there, mama!

I suspect there is a latch issue. Have you seen an IBCLC? Not just a lactation consultant. Usually the ones at hospitals are not IBCLCs. Sounds like he's not getting enough areola into his mouth. If he's sucking more or less just on the nipple, that will be a problem. Dr. Jack Newman has some great info/pics/videos about latch that you should check into.

Congrats on the new baby!

I had bloody nipples also, and didn't do anything because I thought it was normal, but when my LO wouldn't eat because of it, I realized something was wrong. To be on the safe side, I suggest you go see a lactation consultant. I had to pump for just over a week, and feed my dd by bottle, because it was so bad, and now we are having problems getting her back on the breast. Good Luck!

Nipple Shield you can get one at Target? There awesome and i promise your nipples will be back to normal in about a week.. I love mine..

Good Luck

Lindsey and Russell

Quote Originally Posted by lraehtz View Post
    Nipple Shield you can get one at Target? There awesome and i promise your nipples will be back to normal in about a week.. I love mine..

Good Luck

Lindsey and Russell
    Don't be too quick to start using the nipple shield, it can be quite the task to wean them off and can sometimes make sore nipples worse!

I agree with previous poster about some nipple soreness being normal, but the bleeding maybe not so much. Do a search on these forums for "bleeding nipples" and you should find tons of threads. Although it may not be "normal" it certainly is common enough to have been search many, many times.

Good luck, it sounds like you're doing all the right things.
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.

I agree with PP. Hold off on the Nipple sheild if at all possible. If you do use one do it under the guidance of an IBCLC to avoid as many problems as possible. It can be VERY hard to wean LO's off of them and can effect your milk supply. You def. need to call a LC or a LLL about the bleeding nipples just to make sure things are okay.

~Meg~
    Wife to Ray (09/07/07)and Mama to:
    Xander (01/19/07) nursed for 30 months
    Liam (12/12/09) still nursing through the night and in the mornings!
    Sebastian (7/29/12) my newest little nursling who graciously shares his milk with big brother!

Gentle Reminder: Nipple shields should be used ONLY under the advice and guidance of a LLL Leader or IBCLC

OP--while it does sound like your baby is getting plenty to eat, cracked and bleeding nipples are definitely a sign that the latch needs to be checked out. Are you able to get ahold of LLL in your area (see the link in my signature) or perhaps an IBCLC?

Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!