Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: New here(long, im sorry)

Default New here(long, im sorry)

Hi everyone! My name is Kristi and i think my lil girl may have a milk protein allergy, or reflux, or something to do with me having too much milk. Im just not sure where to go from here. The problem is i also have an overactive letdown, a ton of milk and the symptoms of that, reflux and mp allergy all are very similar...im so confused and lost. I just want my baby to feel better.
    She is nine weeks, and these are the symptoms I am noticing...let me know what you think.
    1.Very fussy. She eats, shell be happy for maybe 15 min before she starts fussing again. Usually we can distract her for a while, but unless she is napping the only way she calms down is to put her back at my breast. She pretty much wants to sit on my breast for hours and hours. Its making getting anything done, very hard.
    2.She eats constantly, sometimes every half hour. (which is probably from my oversupply?) and acts starving, even if she just ate like 20 minutes ago.
    3.She has terrible gas. Where she cries and grunts and the smell could take out a small village lol
    4.She only has a bowel movement every few days, and when she does the smell is HORRID, and it is very mucus like.Not the normal, seedy looking poop. I havent noticed any blood but to tell you the truth it smells so bad i just try to clean her up asap.
    5.Sometimes, she will be sleeping and just let out this terrible scream like someone just pinched her. Its so sad. She really seems like she is pain.
    6.She gets the hiccups a lot. And they really bother her. The only way to calm her is to breastfeed her during them.

With me, Im having trouble with clogged ducts and mastitis. Ive had it 3 times so far. If i miss one single feeding i have problems. She started sleepign longer at night and i woke up this morning with a very hard lumpy breast. Im scared its going to turn into another infection, but this is the breast that already produces more than the other so i dont want to feed too much off that one side. Im having so many problems and Im really getting down about breastfeeding. I didnt realize this was going to be so hard.

ok, whew...i know this is long....and thank you if you have made it this far! I just really want to help my baby feel better. I want my happy go lucky baby back

Wink Re: New here(long, im sorry)

Hey Kristi,
    I came and joined lll today and I have similar problems to you but as this is my fourth baby it isn't such a big suprise for me tbh.
    I have a one month old baby and have had two weeks of mastitis and with my last baby ended up giving up bfing as I was infected so badly I came close to hospitalisation. I WISH i would have read the lll advice on over supply and overactive let down for my first children (although the internet was a pipe dream then lol)

I just wanted to answer some of your q's with my experiences and hope they can help you... it isn't perfect advice by any means so do disregard it as you see fit!
    As it happens from Birth my little one has always prefered one breast over the other so tbh I have let her go with the one she likes and only occasionally feed from the other one if she is having a particularly busy feeding day and my nipple needs a break lol. I had to do this with my last baby due to milk supply problems due to massive antibiotic needs and i successfully bf her although we did end up giving up due to the illness of mastitis.

Have you thought about having a really basic diet? I have found that my babies all got affected by stuff such as too much coffee, onions, peppers, cucumber, tomatoes etc etc etc and it is only with this one I have gone onto a simple meat pasta, bread and potato kind of diet and she settles better, feeds for longer and is beginning to establish her own routine (yey)
    ALSO one of the things I found affected how mine latch on and get windy is the quality of fruit juices etc that I drink, I used to just drink the basic kids kind of cordial juices but now have my own personal supply of high juices which are a lot higher in flavour but a hell of a lot lower in artificial flavourings including sweeteners. I have found cutting out pretty much all artificial kinds of convenience foods have helped settle the gripeyness.

The noises she makes sounds really like she is experiencing abdominal pain by a reaction (IMO) so I would really suggest trying the totally natural diet thing and a dose of infacol or gripe water before feeding to help release any wind.. it is a complete myth that bf babies don't get colic... I have two of my four to prove that right now

I hope I helped, it is so hard and a mine of guilt being a mummy so huuuge hugs chick and please don't allow yourself to reflect on yourself negatively, some babies are just a bit awkward

XXDianaXX

Default Re: New here(long, im sorry)

This does sound like the symptoms my DD had from oversupply. I noticed that you also worte to the allergy forum too. Both can be very frustrating. For me block feeding (see the literature at the beg. of this forum) and eliminating milk has made my DD much happier. After ~2 weeks of no cows milk and block feeding her gas pains are gone, diapers are more normal. She still has terrible hiccoughs. I do not know yet if her problems originated from milk or oversupply. There are lots of good resources here and at the allergy forum on both topics. I also recommend searching kellymom.com for info. They have lots of interesting sources. Good Luck!

thank you girls for such a quick response! So yes, i guess i will try eliminating the cows milk and trying the block feeding for a few weeks and hopefully this all clears up.

With the block feeding the other breast gets really engorged and lumpy so ive been putting a hot pack on them and hand expressing just a little. Im so afraid im going to get mastitis again. it sucks! is there anything else i can do to avoid this? and i started doing two-four hours on one then switch. is that too long?

A lot of over supplied moms try Sage tea, cabbage leaves or ice pack compresses, peppermint tea, or antihistamines to slow down milk production. Peppermint tea and ice packs have helped me with the engorgement. (the pepermint tea might just be a mental thing but it seems to help.) I haven't had mastitis so can't comment on that but it is a common problem when you have over supply. And it sounds terrible. Good for you for continuing to BF!

I use my LO's favorite breast much more than the non-favorite one. My left side is often engorged and has a much harder time "learning" to decrease the supply. I tend to leave it fuller than the other side so that it will hopefully keep getting the message that it is making too much milk. **But I think to prevent mastitis it is good to drain the breasts** maybe someone with more experience in that area can shed some light on this for you.

I have read that some mom's pump and store/donate the over supplied side and don't really feed LO from it - but that gets you stuck in a constantly oversupplied state until LO starts eating more.

As you might have read cows milk can remain a problem up to 4 weeks after you eliminate it... if that is the culprit. Just keep at it! It sounds like you are doing a lot of things right to make BFing better for you and LO!