Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just Started. SO MUCH PAIN!

Default Just Started. SO MUCH PAIN!

I just had my baby yesterday. I have just started breast feeding and it really hurts. Baby is getting a good latch, but I am raw at the nipple. It hurts! Anything I can do to "toughen" up the nipples and maybe even relieve some pain?

Thanks.

Default Re: Just Started. SO MUCH PAIN!

LANSINOH LANOLIN works miracles you can get it at pretty much any store like k-mart, walmart, meijer, babies r us.....in the nursing supply section in th baby section.

Emilee
    Wife and Mommy
    DS born on Aug 4th 2006 @ 8 lbs 14 oz and 20 inches
    DD born at Home on May 10th 2008 @ 8 lbs 14 oz and 20 inches

OOOOOHHHHH, I'm so excited for you!!!! Congratulations on your new LO!!! I'm so glad you decided to BF your LO. Just hang tight for the first couple of weeks and you'll be fine!!! I was in your shoes exactly 1 year ago today. I went into labor on the 19th and gave birth on the 20th. It's d/t the wonderful support and help from this web-site that we have successfully nursed for 1 WHOLE YEAR!! If you're sure it's a good latch, I agree with PP, the lansinoh works FANTABULOUSLY. :cool I would also, after you're done feeding, squirt just a little bit of milk onto your nips and let them air dry. That works wonders too!! Just let the girls hang out for a bit while it dries. Only takes a sec. Hang in there ma, you're giving your LO the very best start in life and you've only just begun!!!!!

I agree, just hang in there. Here is a good link. http://www.kellymom.com/newman/03a-sore_nipples.html

Congradulations

I remember my first week of BF (only 5 weeks ago ) and how I used to dread when Gabe wanted to nurse - heck my toes would curl up when he began the latch. The Lanisoh is a blessing - but usually within a week as long as LO has a good latch it wont hurt but for a second when the nipple gets drawn back.

Dont forget - when you shower - dont be washing the girls with soap - just hot water will work wonders =)

And congratulations!

congratulations. I don't have and advice to add...you have been given plenty. Welcome to LLL and breastfeeding. We all remember those early days. It can be tough at first, but it does get easier. Once you are passed the first few weeks, you will hopfully look back on this time and realise how fast it actually goes by.

Do you have a lactation consultant available? Hands-on help is the best. Sometimes the baby's latch can look right, but if it's causing pain and nipple trauma there's room for improvement. Now is the time to fix it, before you end up with cracks, which are excruciating and can take a long time to fully heal. Good luck and hang in there! If you can make it through the early weeks and months, it gets so much better.

Hang in there! I second the advice to get the latch checked again. It won't take long, and if there really is a problem, you can get it fixed now before things get any worse for you.

Some soreness is definitely normal. My nipples felt sore for like 6 weeks, and they were bright red for 6 weeks too.

I just wanted to let you know I went through the same thing for the first few days after my son was born. Even though the LC at the hospital told me I was doing it right, I was in major pain every time he latched on. The LC told me that it would probably get better when my milk came in, and it did, right away! I made good use of Lansinoh for a few days and then when my milk came in (on day four) my sore nipple problems were immediately relieved. It became painless so quickly that I again thought maybe he wasn't latching on properly. Our home visit nurse assured me we were still doing it right, and although breastfeeding has not been without its challenges since then, pain has never again been a problem. Best of luck to you and your LO, and congratulations!

Thank you all for the helpful advice!!