Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Red bumps on areola

Question Red bumps on areola

I've been nursing for several months now and I have a new nipple issue. It's like my one nipple is breaking out with a rash. Any ideas? (BTW, I know about the montgomery glands, which secreted tiny bits of oil even before I was pregnant.) These are a cluster of dry red spots, just above my nipple.

I noticed them Wed on my right nipple and today they are also on my left nipple.

I mentioned this yesterday on another thread, but got no response, so I thought perhaps this might work. My son has been going through a growth spurt with more cluster feeding than normal, which is saying a lot, since he's always been an evening nursing fiend! Anyway, with the growth spurt came this rash and new soreness. They are almost like bite marks, but of course I've ruled that out. Any ideas?

Default Re: Red bumps on areola

Maybe a rash from moisture? I had that when DD was little and nursed a lot. Maybe try a little mommy nakey time when you can to see if it helps?

Thanks for the suggestion. It doesn't seem like an irritation for moisture and I guess I'm wondering if anything else is going on... especially since now both sides are involved. When do I need to worry?

You don't think it's thrush do you? Any shooting pains in breast or white patches in DD mouth? Sometimes, there are hardly any symptoms, sometimes, there are a slew.

Have a blessed day! Maria
    Romans 12:2

Do the bumps itch? Has there been any change in your laundry detergent? Soap? Lotion? Is your baby eating solids?

I guess I'm wondering if it could be thrush or some other type of infection/complication that needs to be treated. DS has no symptoms.

Jolie, no changes in detergent, lotions, etc. And, he hasn't started solids. The only thing that is different is that he's at an age where he's pulling off more to look around -- so I'd expect irritation, but these are clearly bumps, which are now looking drier than before. No itching, unless I think about them and then almost anything would itch on me!

Here's the only atypical thing I can think of: he had surgery two weeks ago (minor) and needed to be intubated. After that I noticed a little change on the exact same spot on his top and bottom lips, so I figured it was from the tube. Could that have introduced something into our nursing?

Does it seem like thrush?

Okay, new symptom... last night the layer of skin over the bumps stuck to my bra and peeled off, leaving a raw area. SO, does this mean it's probably thrush. Still no really painful... still no symptoms in DS. I'm so confused!