Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: milk decrease???

Default milk decrease???

I am new to BF and have a 4 month old.. He has been exclusively bf since day one.. Lately, it seems he is not fulfilled after a feeding... he seems to be eating every 1.5 - 2 hours in the last few days.. Let me give you some history
    He had been eating usually every 2.5 - 3 hours and i have been able to pump out 9-15 oz per day.. In the last week i have been unable to pump out more than 2 oz per day and he seems to be eating so much more now.. I am going from breast to breast trying to feed him and he is getting so frustrated.

I know he has been eating fine in the past and i obviously have been able to feed him since he is already 15 pounds and has gained 8 pounds in his first 4 months. But like i said he seems so unfullied and gets so frustrated now..

Can i possibly dry up? What can i do to get more milk? I have read that there is an herb to take but only take if you are really sure you are not producing enough..

I am drinking fluids - have not changed my diet at all. i am sorry fi this is all mish mash but i am getting very upset at the possibility of having to supplement...

Can someone please help????

Default Re: milk decrease???

Hi there,
    You sound very worried about your LO!

Is it possible that your ds is going through a growth spurt? This happens a lot around 4 months. The increase in nursing will tell your body to make more. That is good. He should step up your supply in a couple of days.
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/normal/growth-spurt.html (not LLL source)

Pumping is not always a good indicator of milk supply. Is your pump used or old? Parts can wear out and many pumps aren't made to last very long, so the pump may not be a good indicator of what is going on.

Could ds be teething or sick? These things can often get baby nursing more than usual.

Have your recently started birth control or another medication?

Could you be pregnant?

Can you tell us more about how he seems unfulfilled and frustrated with nursing? What exactly does he do.

To answer your question: It is nearly unheard of for an exclusively BF mother to just lose her supply.

Let us know how things are going.

Did you mean that you went from 9- 15 oz to 2 oz? Or did you mean that in addition to the 9-15 you can only pump out another 2 oz per day?

i am very nervous because of me! I formula fed my first child because of pure laziness and i vowed this time i would not do that. I promised myself to bf exclusively for the first 6 months then go on day by day to see how we are. Last night i almost caved and grabbed some formula and my husband just looked at me and said I will hold him and calm him down. I went and cared formy other son at that point. My husband is comfortable with whatever decision I end up making (chooseing between bf or formula). he suggested it would not be so bad if we had to supplement.

I do not use my pumping as an indicator of how much he gets. I do understand he gets more than i can acutally pump. I bought it when he was only 2-3 weeks old.. its the new playtex electric double. It was the only one i really liked

I COULD NOT be pregnant - and no meds have started.

what he is doing is crying (his hunger cry) i put him to the breast he sucks for a few minutes and then cries again.. we continue this for 5-8 minutes then i switch breasts. He may latch on for a good 8-10 mnutes then will begin his hunger cry again. At that point i just cuddle with him until he calms down. He tried for the breast and i guess nothing is coming out and then gives up and gets frustrated. Though thorugh the night, it seems my supply is ok. He is waking more frequestnly now to eat.. we had gotten it down to once a night for a feeding - we are now back up to about 4-5 times through the night.

I will see how I do today.. I have increased my fluid intake and hope to see some results.. i am not ready to give up this bond yet.. its very emotional when i think of it

As for how much am i pumping - i used to be able to pump out DAILY 9-15 oz, I am only able now to pump out 2 oz daily. Just enough for the cereal.. can not pump out enough to freeze or refigerate...

Thanks for the response!

So how did things go yesterday and today? Any better?

yesterday went better - yes... he was getting frustrated at points but not too bad.. through the night my supply was 100% there and he knew it.. he barely slept through the night was eating like he never ate before.. I was up almost the entire night with him - almost constantly feeding.

Today went well..i felt the fullness (which made me more comfortable) i was able to pump out about 4 oz today.. He just had the greatest feeding a few hours ago and it totally knocked him out I was happy he was finally FILLED.

I am hoping i am doing better.. i am so happy i did not cave and want to thank ALL OF YOU. Its really funny how much support you really need.

I never knew or realized how many people are anti BF but i used to be to - well not anti just didn't understand why people were so compelled to continue. I never understood why mothers that continued it.. I UNDERSTAND NOW.

For some reason though - I was BF for the health reason.. in our case it really did not matter because my son was sick for two months with 4 bouts of ear infections that still have not cleared after 3 doses of antibiotics and he was diagnosed with RSV as well. we are all dumbfounded... everyone i knew said 'so.. if he is still getting sick why bother???'

Why.. i know why now.. its the emotional tie i can never have with anyone like i do with him... its unexplainable and the thought of NOT breastfeeding him brings me to absolute tears and fear! It saddens me to think that I will not have any more children (by choice) and will never be able to experience this again with another child... anyway

THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH FOR THE MUCH NEEDED SUPPORT

Quote Originally Posted by LAGR View Post
    For some reason though - I was BF for the health reason.. in our case it really did not matter because my son was sick for two months with 4 bouts of ear infections that still have not cleared after 3 doses of antibiotics and he was diagnosed with RSV as well. we are all dumbfounded... everyone i knew said 'so.. if he is still getting sick why bother???'

Why.. i know why now.. its the emotional tie i can never have with anyone like i do with him... its unexplainable and the thought of NOT breastfeeding him brings me to absolute tears and fear! It saddens me to think that I will not have any more children (by choice) and will never be able to experience this again with another child... anyway

THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH FOR THE MUCH NEEDED SUPPORT
    You are very welcome! I am so glad to hear things are going better. And you were quite a trouper hanging in there with all of the increased feedings. You deserve a pat on the back! <pat, pat>

And if it makes you feel any better, just think of how many ear infections and other things he might have had if he did not have the normal immunities from your milk! BF doesn't prevent all illnesses, but it lessens the risk. So obviously his risk was greater to begin with! (Sort of like buying a deadbolt lock for your door. It won't prevent a break-in, but it can lessen the risk!)

Take care!