Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Weaning from nipple shield problem

Default Weaning from nipple shield problem

My daughter is 5 weeks old and I'm trying to wean her from the nipple shield (we initially used it due to latching problems/damaged nipples.) She's gaining weight great so the pediatrician isn't too concerned, but I'd still really like to stop using it. The problem I'm having is that she will latch on OK without it, but she'll only suck for 30 seconds or so, and then she'll pull off. She'll fuss a bit when I try to put her back on, but then she'll re-latch and do it again. Do you think she's getting too much milk too fast? She doesn't do this with the shield, but it's always filled with milk when she comes off and she usually has milk all over her face. I'd appreciate any advice!

Default Re: Weaning from nipple shield problem

I'm in the same boat, would love to hear some replies. DD won't take the breast now w/out the shield.

Oh the dreaded shield. I was in your same shoes a few weeks ago! I got the shield at 3 days old and tried and tried for weeks and weeks to get her to wean from it. I tried to latch her every feeding and she never would. I watched every video online, went to LLL meetings, and saw various LCs. The LLL who helped me kept telling me to give her time and that she would latch in her own time. A few days after she turned 9 weeks old she finally latched and we haven't looked back since! Keep trying ALOT and be patient. It is a big pain in the butt to use them but if you keep trying they will eventually take the breast without the shield! Hang in there!

It will be so much eaiser for you if she is latching initially without out it as that is usually the biggest problem. You could have an overactive let down or an oversupply. My DD had some issues with getting milk too fast without the shield. For the most part she just delt with it, lying down and feeding her on my side helped. Howerver, there is lots of info on those issues on these boards. Good luck!

My little one is now 4.5 mos and he stopped using the shield a while back, but here's what I remember...

As you've probably heard, sometimes trying "new" things work best when they are sleepy and half out of it. I'd start my DS with the shield at night and then break the latch and he'd be so ready to nurse he'd just go right back on. (The milk was flowing, etc., so he was happy.) It took several days before I could do this during the day and longer before he would consistently latch and stay latched without it. Boy was I glad when I didn't have to fumble with that anymore! Just hang in there! It will happen.

Nursing eased back in a recliner helped me when he couldn't keep up with the flow. Good luck!

It took me about 3 months before dd was ready to wean. The first month I tried and she wasn't getting it. The second month I resigned myself to using it and didn't worry about it. The third month, I tried, just for kicks, and she got it. It took about a week of sometimes using it sometimes not before she was fulltime not using it. Keep trying. I did the "start with the shield and then try slipping it off."

I have a friend who also used the shield. What worked for her was gradually snipping off the end of the shield until eventually there was nothing but the nipple left for her LO.

Quote Originally Posted by Elyse_Mommy View Post
    I have a friend who also used the shield. What worked for her was gradually snipping off the end of the shield until eventually there was nothing but the nipple left for her LO.
    I don't think that it is recomended to do that because there can be sharp edges that can cut LO.

I am having trouble with this same problem although I started for different reasons and trying to get advice. What has worked so far for me is to lay him down and hang over him to get him to latch on. Then there really isn't much place for him to go and it reduces the head movement for him to unlatch. It is working...I just am trying to find if something else would work faster than this.