Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Milk Donating

Default Milk Donating

*Not sure where to post this* Has anyone donated there extra milk? If so how did you go about doing it and what has your experience been?

Default Re: Milk Donating

I am a donor for the National Milk Bank. It may not be the BEST place in some peoples opinions but it's been nice so far. They sent me a hospital grade pump to use and have been very prompt in answering any of my questions.

~Meg~
    Wife to Ray (09/07/07)and Mama to:
    Xander (01/19/07) nursed for 30 months
    Liam (12/12/09) still nursing through the night and in the mornings!
    Sebastian (7/29/12) my newest little nursling who graciously shares his milk with big brother!

There is information on milk donation in the sticky located at the top of this forum. How generous of you to share with other babies in this way .

Tiana

Quote Originally Posted by audreysmommy View Post
    *Not sure where to post this* Has anyone donated there extra milk? If so how did you go about doing it and what has your experience been?
    i donated milk to mothers milk. i felt really good about doing it. i either had to dump my milk or donate it because i pumped so much while my little guy was in the nicu... i would be sure to keep a large supply though. my son has reflux and basically ate only the minimum he needed to from me, so i lost my supply! now he has to have fortified bottles of milk for a few weeks. i was SO grateful i kept a lot of my frozen milk (i wish i would have kept a little bit more). so, i think it is great, just be careful you are prepared if anything should come up and your little one will need milk. i never thought it would happen to me, but i kept a whole freezer shelf full just in case! glad i did!

I have been lucky enough to have quite the generous amount of milk-sometimes I think I can feed the whole family! Since my DS never took a bottle and barely took anything at daycare, I had an amundance of milk left over. I chose to donate primarily to the mothers milk bank in Colorado and they were fantastic!! At some of the other sites in previous posts you can privately donate as well-I did that as my last official donation. My only recommendation would be if you do it privately to make sure that it's in a good styrofoam container with dryice, and to work out the shipping charges with the person receiving the milk (upwards to $100 for priority guaranteed delivery overnight-you need to do this to maintain the frozen milk). The milk bank provides everything including free shipping to you except for the dry ice.

It's a wonderful thing to donate milk, knowing that you're giving some little baby the best thing on earth! Good for you!

For those that donate milk--can you, once an approved donor, donate already frozen milk? I had to pump for so long until my little girl got the hang of breast feeding that I have a very large freezer stash and I'm still over-producing so I'm still storing several ounces a day. I imagine that I'll use some of it--but I'm not really sure that I'll use it all before I need to toss it.

Quote Originally Posted by Steph View Post
    For those that donate milk--can you, once an approved donor, donate already frozen milk? I had to pump for so long until my little girl got the hang of breast feeding that I have a very large freezer stash and I'm still over-producing so I'm still storing several ounces a day. I imagine that I'll use some of it--but I'm not really sure that I'll use it all before I need to toss it.
    This would be a question to ask the milk bank. I would think that different banks would have different rules and policies. I hope you are able to find a bank that can use your surplus.

Tiana

Quote Originally Posted by Steph View Post
    I'm going through the process now. I called WakeMed milk bank in Raleigh, NC and they do in fact take already frozen milk. I have nearly 3000 ounces stashed away that I plan to send them. Now, they do want to make sure that when you pumped the milk that you weren't taking any weird medicines or drinking alcohol, etc. But they'll send you a cooler and you pack it in there and voila! You're on your way to an empty freezer