Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: increase fat content?

Default increase fat content?

hi everyone.. hope that someone out there can help me out.. i've been searching for any information that can help me increase the fat content of my milk. my daughter is gaining weight, but not very quickly.. some weeks she may only gain 3 oz. she is 3 1/2 months old, her birth weight was 6lb 12oz. and her current weight is 11lb 3oz. i'm really trying not to worry too much, she's had her 3 month checkup and the dr. thought that she was doing fine, she's very bright, alert and strong. she has the right amount of wet diapers, but i am just needing some advice on what I can do to make the milk fatter!! I've started pumping out the first foremilk out in the mornings... thanks all!!

Default Re: increase fat content?

There isn't any research that I've read that says you can alter the fat content of your milk. You can however make sure your baby drains the first breast entirely before you move on to the next one. This way the hind milk gets consumed. Are you having regular let downs when you nurse?
    You can also attempt to offer the breast upwards of 8 times a day. Is your baby sleeping through the night?
    Is your baby lively and active during the day? There has been some discussion that higher energy babies tend to be slimmer because they burn more calories. Lastly I want to encourage you about the weight gain you are seeing. The fact that there is weight gain is a terrific thing and shouldn't be scoffed at simply because its less than expected. Weight gain is weight gain.

http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/mi...e-milkfat.html Here is a good link. From what i understand, you can't alter the amount of fat in your milk, just they type of fat. At the bottom of the page on the link above is a link on how to increase babies weight.

Oh, it sounds like your lo is doing great. At 4 months, my lo was 12 lbs 7 oz, but her birth weight was 8 lbs 14 oz. As long as lo is happy, healthy and reaching milestones, I wouldn't worry. Your milk is perfect for your lo

I had been wondering the samething. My daughter is 4 months old and weighs 10lbs 14oz, she was 6lbs 9oz at birth.

breastcompressions can keep the baby on the breast longer to get more hind milk.
    Some babies need to nurse up to 12 times in 24 hours to get the weight gain they need.
    Feeding more often for longer can help.

I heard that if you are regularly taking your omega-3 oil pills
    (fish oil) capsules that you get at the health food stores, your milk will be richer. ? have no idea if its true, but it cannot hurt and its good for you!

It sounds like you and your baby are doing great!

You absolutely can increase the amount of hindmilk your baby takes in. One way is to feed more frequently. The emptier the breast, the fattier the milk. This link contains an easy to understand explanation: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/fo...-hindmilk.html Another way to increase your baby's intake of hindmilk is to use breast compressions: http://www.kellymom.com/newman/15bre...mpression.html

HTH!

Please update and let us know how you're doing!

Now that my LO is 8 months old I would agree with the PP. My LO had weight gain problems and her doc told me to pump out the "water" fore-milk so she gets more of the "fatty" hind milk. Of course, being a new mom, worried about my very underweight baby I did just that. She ended up so constipated because she was not getting the fore-milk. I posted the problem here and found out it was a bad idea to dump the fore-milk - after all it is made that way for a reason.

Good lunch and best wishes!
    Samantha: born 3 1/2 weeks early on Sept 2006 6lbs 4 oz 18 inches long with situs inversus totalis. Now a strong healthy little girl that wants to be a NICU doctor, loves her little sister and breastfeeds her dolls!
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 2,200 oz
    Alexandra: born 3 weeks early on July 2010 7lbs 8 oz 19.5 inches long.
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 1,200

For information on becoming a Breastmilk Donor http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk