Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Block feeding making MORE milk?

Default Block feeding making MORE milk?

I have an over supply issue, as well as an OALD, so I've been block feeding. It seems to be making it worse!! I leak from both breasts all the time. I'm going to have to take out stock in breast pads. LOL.

Anyway, with DD's reflux, plus the OALD, nursing is pure torture sometimes. I have tried catching the let down in a towel before hand, which sort of helps, but she still chokes because it seems I have a fast/abundant supply ALL the time. What do I do?

And as if nursing wasn't difficult, but it seems I stay constatantly engorged. I will let her nurse for a few minutes on the engorged side to lessen the discomfort, otherwise I'm lop sided with a hard lump in my breast. As soon as I switch breasts the other one fills up and by the time I'm done on that side, the one I just switched from is engorged already.

Default Re: Block feeding making MORE milk?

Can you remind us how old your baby is and how long you've been doing the block feeding? Thanks!

She's a month old today (wow, time flies!). I've been doing the block feeding for about a week and a half.

I'm almost tempted to go back to using both breasts at a time, but when she's hungry and goes to town she doesn't feed for a long time, and I'm nervous she won't get the hind milk if I cut it short one side to get her switched to the other side. Any suggestions?

But on a funny note, my husband didn't believe me when I said it was spraying her in the back of the throat, so I pointed it at him and I got a 3 foot spray!! Even I was impressed. LMAO!

OK, thanks.

Your baby is still very young! In order to see a reduction in milk supply while block feeding it generally takes much longer than a week and a half. Our bodies adjust quickly to an increased demand for breastmilk but tend to adjust more slowly when we lessen the demand. I'd definately give block feeding at least 4 weeks before deciding it's not effective.

Also, keep in mind that most oversupply issues will resolve on their own by about the 12-week mark.

Don't worry about how long your baby nurses for -- watch her, not the clock. Babies can get everything they need in a matter of just a few minutes at the breast. Try not to be too overly concerned about her not getting any hindmilk either -- if you are block feeding chances are she's getting plenty (an empty breast/one that is used more frequently will have a more hindmilk available than a full breast/one that is used less frequently).

Sometimes mom's with chronic oversupply issues have to really minimize the amount of stimulation their breasts receive, even while they're not nursing -- try to be sure that your shirt or bra isn't rubbing against your nipples

HTH! You're doing great -- the first 6 to 8 weeks can be *really* tough. Hang in there!

Quote Originally Posted by LLLCarol
    OK, thanks.

Your baby is still very young! In order to see a reduction in milk supply while block feeding it generally takes much longer than a week and a half. Our bodies adjust quickly to an increased demand for breastmilk but tend to adjust more slowly when we lessen the demand. I'd definately give block feeding at least 4 weeks before deciding it's not effective.
    Ok, that's what I wanted to know. It's good to know that I haven't made things worse, it just means I haven't adjusted to it yet. Good!

Try not to be too overly concerned about her not getting any hindmilk either -- if you are block feeding chances are she's getting plenty (an empty breast/one that is used more frequently will have a more hindmilk available than a full breast/one that is used less frequently).
    Hum. That's interesting. How long does it take after let down for the hind milk to come in, and is there anyway I can distinguish between formilk and hindmilk? Like colour, thickness, etc, to make sure she's gettng it?

Thanx for the help!!

This may help explain foremilk and hindmilk -- (not from a LLL source): I'm confused about foremilk and hindmilk - how does this work?

You can tell if your baby is getting an adequate amount of fat (hindmilk) if she's gaining weight and is having frequent wet diapers (5-6) and a few (3 to 4) quarter-sized bowel movements each day. Once she hits about 6 weeks old, her bowel movements may become more infrequent -- this is okay.

My DD is 12 weeks today. I have OALD on one side and she has severe reflux and is very gassy. Between these problems it's very frustrating. I have tried block nursing and also catching the spray in a burb cloth. I think I may have several let downs. I'm at my wit's end and don't know if I can take it anymore. Should I pump exclusive on one side and just feed from the other?

tgrand~have you tried pumping a bit before nursing DD...just until the first letdown subsides? I have personally found it easier to just lean over the sink and hand-express for a while, but pumping would work, too. I would encourage you to give block-feeding some more time. It does take a while for your body to adjust. I can understand, though, what you mean by being at your wits end. My son was three months old before I had even heard about oversupply (what? you can have too MUCH? I thought I was supposed to worry about not having enough!), and it took another three months before the issue completely resolved itself.

HANG IN THERE! Things will get better! Try to rest and enjoy your baby. Retire to bed for a few days and just nurse and be with your baby. Sometimes, I found this to be the only way to really be in tune with how much milk I was making.

Oh, and it is quite normal to have several letdowns during a feeding, even if there is not an oversupply issue.

Take Care,

Tiana