Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Co-Sleeping

Default Re: Co-Sleeping

Who cares what others think about you co-sleeping. If they dont' sleep with you, then their opinion doesn't matter We co slept with my son until he was over 3, then he was in our room in his bed until he was 5. Now he is upstairs in his own room. It was hard to get him out of our bed, but eventually, he was ready and went willingly.

When we brought our daughter home, I swore I wouldn't do the same with her. Yeah right, she slept with me from night one in the hospital. We have a really big bed and my hubby doesn't mind, so she'll prob be in there for a few years. We didn't even make her a room or buy her a crib because we knew we would have a few years. I did have a bassinet, but it didnt get used. It is so nice to sleep with your lo and know they are safe.

I think my co-sleeping stems from me sleeping with my parents until I was 5. My dads sister died of SIDS and he was afraid I would too, so I just slept with them. So to me co-sleeping is a safety and conviencence issue, not to mention, so sweet.

If you go to askdrsears.com he talks about research studies that show co-sleeping may reduce SIDS risk and sleep apnea episodes... When I get a bunch of crap from the pedi and people about it, I let them know that for me it is an emotional choice but I can defend it from a medical standpoint too if they need to hear it!

The only reason we don't have our 4 year old in bed with us still is b/c he is a kicker and we didn't want him getting the new little guy. At first we had to let him fall asleep in our bed and then move him once he was out but within 2 weeks he was going into his own bed to go to sleep. He still asks once in a while if he can but he doesn't get upset when we say no.

It's no-one's business how your family sleeps! We co-slept w/ DD (now 11) and again w/ new DD. Helps me sleep better and the closeness is great!

Keep it up!

I tired the first night in the crib, it didn't work out for me. I dropped the pacifier under the bed, tried to crawl under to get it out, ended up ripping out the stitches from my c-section...The second night was much better. DS is almost 1 and I love that we cosleep.
    If I didn't love it, I wouldn't do it. And if DS wasn't loving it, we wouldn't do it. So how can anyone deny something that everyone is ok with?

Where do people think babies used to sleep when there was only a family bed? Or before that when there were no beds? Did you carve out their own separate cave a few rocks down? I don't think so...

If it comes up (I dont' bring it up, which avoids about 90% of the flak) I shrug and say "It works for our family." If they respond with horror stories, I make sympathetic noises, but don't validate their claims. And repeat my line, unitl they get bored and leave.

Quote Originally Posted by MariElizabeth View Post
    Where do people think babies used to sleep when there was only a family bed? Or before that when there were no beds? Did you carve out their own separate cave a few rocks down? I don't think so...

Exactly. We seem to have lost touch with our mammalian instincts, which is to sleep with our young. Crazy Americans.