Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ceramic bowls- where to find?

Default Re: Ceramic bowls- where to find?

Quote Originally Posted by aost View Post
    hmmm...I've never heard about this...I put everything in the dishwasher...

Doesn't the type of plastic matter too--I seem to remember that hard plastic was okay, but not soft plastic.

Angela
    I've heard the exact opposite. The hard plastics (polycarbonate) is the worst kind because once it is heated it starts releasing very dangerous chemicals that leaks into the food. The plastics that you are not supposed to heat up (or not use at all) is the ones with recycling codes 3, 6 and 7. Medela bottles and pump parts and Gerber utensils are all number 4 or 5 so I put them in the dishwasher all the time (but not into microwave).
    See the link for more info:
    http://www.realmama.org/archives-win...n-plastics.php

try heavy glass, like pyrex type weight. Have you seen those little soap dish suction cup things? They're about 3 inches circle and have tons of 1/2 cm suction cups on both sides. You suction it to the table, then suction the bowl to that. It worked really well at first for us, and then she learned to not pick up her bowl.
    Mommie to big sister Eszter, and twinnies Sophia and Josiah

I found these plastic sectional baby plates with suction feet.

Also, here's another one.

Or, a cool thing to try would be to just order some suction cups so that you can use your existing dinnerware and suction it safely to the table or highchair....this way you don't need to buy separate gear for your LO. I found a supplier of double sided suction feet here. These are intended for a joke, i.e. suctioning down someones can of coke...but I think they would work great.

Just found another one here - though not sure how to purchase it - I'm sure you could call them.

I did a search for double sided suction cup and it appears that the idea for this for infant dinnerware is currently being patented, so we should see more on the market soon I hope!
    Last edited by Rochelleann; May 20th, 2007 at 12:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nissa View Post
    Just a thought...ceramic and glass might not be too fun when your lo decides it's tons of fun to throw plates, spoons, sippys, food, etc, etc off the table or high chair! That's something you can't stop!

Yeah, that's why I really want something that will suction to the counter/table! Right now I'm using Buffalo china and I "hide" the dish behind his booster seat while I'm feeding him.

My antique warmer has a really great suction device on the bottom of it.
    I think it's porcelain. I also send glass baby food jars to the nursery right now.

I found some beautiful wooden bowls and utensils online for babies/infants, and remembered that my husband had made me a lovely maple bowl. So I dug it out and started using it again. It's lightweight and easy to clean. Also very pretty! It's sealed with natural beeswax.

Quote Originally Posted by ashlee1954 View Post
    try heavy glass, like pyrex type weight. Have you seen those little soap dish suction cup things? They're about 3 inches circle and have tons of 1/2 cm suction cups on both sides. You suction it to the table, then suction the bowl to that. It worked really well at first for us, and then she learned to not pick up her bowl.
    That's an excellent idea!
    I'll look for some.
    Double sided suction cups.....