Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ceramic bowls- where to find?

Default Ceramic bowls- where to find?

I prefer that my LO eat from ceramic or glass bowls.

Right now, I have one awesome ceramic dish which has three sections to it (it's also an electrical warmer, which allows me to also by pass the microwave). It has a heavy duty suction cup on the bottom.

Where can I find more porcelain/ceramic dishes like this? With or without the warmers. What are these called?? I tried to search on Ebay with no luck.

What kinds of "natural" bowls/cups are available for babies and children?

I know there's concern about plastic bottles, but what about cups, spoons, bowls, etc.??

Default Re: Ceramic bowls- where to find?

Ok, I found some of the "antique" warmers on Ebay.

But isn't there something a little more modern?
    Just a nonplastic bowl with a suction cup on the bottom?

Maybe something even with a lid that could go with LO to DC?

how about corelle I bet they have something!
    http://www.corelle.com/index.asp?pageId=64

Default Re: Ceramic bowls- where to find? Bad plastic!

Quote Originally Posted by andrea_ohio View Post
    how about corelle I bet they have something!
    http://www.corelle.com/index.asp?pageId=64
    Wow, their dishes are nice. They've come a long way since my grandma used them in the 70's.

I found this device:
    http://www.platepal.com

It allows you to "hold" your baby's favorite bowl, of any kind, stiffly to the table. This would work for a ceramic bowl or silver bowl. Or wood or plastic!

Quote Originally Posted by I've a Grey Eyed Baby View Post
    I know there's concern about plastic bottles, but what about cups, spoons, bowls, etc.??
    Just curious if you know something else about this. All I've heard in the last couple of years is to never microwave food in plastic containers because it breaks down the plastic and releases chemicals into the food that have been proven to be harmful to your health. Is there a concern about using cups and spoons also that I haven't heard of?
    Our blessings from God!
    Kylee was born September, 2006 - 9 lbs. 12 1/2 oz, 21 inches long.
    Kiefer was born January, 2008 - 6 lbs. 14 oz, 19 1/2 inches long.
    He was diagnosed with a severe peanut allergy at 12 1/2 months old. Others later discovered.
    And I am even more blessed by being married to my best friend and the most honorable man I've ever known.

"The hand that rocks the cradle rules the world." - Abraham Lincoln

now thats something new and neat
    When my kids were just learning how to eat I just put things on the table at home. I could wash it pretty easy and if they got a plate it just went flying.
    I did manage to clean the varnish off the top of my table when I had day care kids, I used bleach and water.. don't use that on wood.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherri H. View Post
    Just curious if you know something else about this. All I've heard in the last couple of years is to never microwave food in plastic containers because it breaks down the plastic and releases chemicals into the food that have been proven to be harmful to your health. Is there a concern about using cups and spoons also that I haven't heard of?
    I know there is concern about reusing plastic water/soda bottles....

I read not to put plastic baby bottles into the dishwasher, that this might degrade them, so I assumed it was true for any plastic dishware....not sure if it's the high temp or the scratchy soappowder that is used in the dishwasher.

I forgot where I saw it, but it looked like a fairly reputable online article.

Also we live in an area where anything left in the diaper bag in the car, gets really really hot! I like to keep a stocked up bag in the car for emergencies or if my husband forgets to take the diaper bag somewhere with him!

Beware of ceramic too though. Some of them may contain high amounts of lead. The best bet is glass I guess.

I read not to put plastic baby bottles into the dishwasher, that this might degrade them, so I assumed it was true for any plastic dishware....not sure if it's the high temp or the scratchy soappowder that is used in the dishwasher.

hmmm...I've never heard about this...I put everything in the dishwasher...

Doesn't the type of plastic matter too--I seem to remember that hard plastic was okay, but not soft plastic.

Angela

Just a thought...ceramic and glass might not be too fun when your lo decides it's tons of fun to throw plates, spoons, sippys, food, etc, etc off the table or high chair! That's something you can't stop!