Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Should I be feeling teeth?

Default Should I be feeling teeth?

My daughter is 13 months old and has finally cut her top two teeth. She now has 4 teeth, though the top ones are not fully in.

I have never nursed a baby with teeth, my boys quit long before this. I feel very fortunate that she has delayed getting her teeth this long. Now that they are coming in, should I be feeling them when she nurses? She is not biting and it does not really hurt, but there is some friction that I find a bit uncomfortable. Is there anything that I can or should do? Or is this normal?
    http://thesfamilychronicles.blogspot.com

"At the heart of motherhood is the kind of satisfaction unequalled in any other profession on earth."
    -Tina Neidlein

Isaac- 1/1/01 Nursed only 4 months, had no idea what I was doing.
    Nathan- 4/28/03 preemie, 1 month NICU stay and still managed exclusive nursing for 6 months, better.
    Anna- 4/15/06 Self weaned just after turning 3.
    Baby girl due May 14th

Default Re: Should I be feeling teeth?

Mason now has both of his upper teeth in and I feel like he is kind of grazing while he nurses. I am not sure how better to describe it, it is a little painful, but I try to make sure that he has a full/deep latch and his lips are fished. I am going to my next LLL meeting to see if there is anything else I can do because I am starting to get sore nipples. Not sure if this was any help ...I hope a Leader can chime in...

Just found this:

"Sore nipples in later months may be related to sucking pattern changes in a teething baby. Even changes in saliva associated with teething can be responsible for nipple pain (Wilson-Clay and Hoover 1999)."

when my lo got his top two middle teeth he changed how he latched and his teeth pressed on my nipple. i think because it hurt to nurse properly or because he just had to figure out a new way to work around those teeth. For about a month or so while they were coming in we battled with sore nipples, nipples with bleeding teethmarks (even though he never bit) . We worked through it with lots of lansinoh, nursing upside down (his feet by my head lying down sideways). And, yes, it DID stop. He either stopped having teeth pain or figured out his new way to latch. He got those top teeth around 9 months and is now 16 months and still avidly nursing. I'm glad I didn't pack it in at that point because we have enjoyed a wonderful nursing relationship ever since. I learned to pay attention to the slightest sign of a toothmark starting and immediately changed positioning so that the top teeth were on a different part of the areola. And of course, trying to encourage a good deep latch. Hopefully a leader has some better advice but that's how we worked through it. Just wanted to let you know I've been there and it did get better!

Hi Mommyto3,
    You've gotten some good suggestions already. Here are a few more on this kellymom site (non-LLL).
    When Baby Bites
    If you scroll down a bit, there's a section on not really biting, but scraping teeth or indentations with several specific positioning suggestions.
    HTH!
    Mary