Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Is it ok to take fish oil supplements while nursing?

Default Is it ok to take fish oil supplements while nursing?

I have recently read more about fish oil supplements - good Omega 3. Is it ok to take these supplements while nursing?? My dd is 15 months old.
    thanks!

Default Re: Is it ok to take fish oil supplements while nursing?

absolutely!!!
    so good for baby to get that from your milk!
    Casey, mother to a cuckoo boy
    Guillaume~ a birthday present for his mommy 11~9~06
    still breastfeeding, co-sleeping and cloth diapering

Cod liver oil is very high in vitamin A, so some mothers choose to take fish oil with anchovies, mackerel, sardines or other types of fish in it to avoid getting too much vit. A in addition to their diet and multivitamin. Also, another consideration is mercury and heavy metals in fish. Look on labels of fish oil containers at your local health store or online for "low PCB's", "pharmaceutical grade", or "molecularly distilled", which is an indication of the oil being lower in harmful metals for yourself and your baby. Talking with your doctor may be helpful, also, in knowing what supplements are safe to take while nursing. This article from New Beginnings, the La Leche League magazine for nursing mothers, explains some great ways to take care of mom, nutritionally and otherwise, with a reference to fish oil capsule supplements. Scroll down to the middle and the fish oil reference is under "Your Body".

Personally, I would take Flax oil, hemp oil or a DHA (algae) supplements instead. I've read alot about fish oil and the quality of these oils are questionable. Trying to find the article I read. I add a teaspoon of hemp oil along with some ground flax seed to my oatmeal or cereal everyday. Been doing it for years. They both add a great nutty flavor I love. Like the pp said the mercury in fish is something to avoid. Another good supplement is Udo's oil or supplement. Its a special blend of numerous oils-I've never tried but have heard good things.
    C:\Documents and Settings\David Lawrence\My Documents\My Pictures\DSC00970.jpg
    Mommy to Alexander
    Born Oct 6,2006

Great - thank you for all the replies. I did see some fish oil supplements that suppposedly the mercury was not in it all. I was just curious if anyone had any experience with it. thanks!