Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: The secret question!

Default The secret question!

Okay- here's the reason I'm asking. First I posed the question "what does your 9 month old eat?" because I really wanted to see what people are doing IRL. I figured I'd get more info by asking that basic question than if I were more specific- and I really appreciate all the info!

Now- here's my rambling question and problem. My ds was 9 months old last week. He has reflux which has really settled down quite a bit in the last month. But I have found some food sensitivities- which appeared in conjunction with an outbreak of eczema. His GI doctor (after the eczema at 6 months) said no cereals until after veggies, fruits, and meats had been successfully introduced. At his last visit with the GI doc 2 weeks ago he had allergy testing done because of what I've seen. Unfortunately they didn't test for anything I felt was a problem- which was rice, corn, shellfish, and sweet potatoes. Thankfully he tested negative to dairy, eggs, wheat, peanuts, soy, and codfish. So these things we know we don't have to really worry about right now.

So- making a short story longer- we have gone very slowly in introducing solids simply because we didn't- and still don't know for sure- what things he just can't tolerate. He has never eaten the solids really well. He has had green peas, green beans, carrots, acorn and butternut squash, apples, bananas, and pears without any problems. I've just started this week letting him eat a few cheerios- which he's done without any problems either. He also has had a few bites of spinach, and just this week tiny (like less than a teaspoon) of chicken. But he just doesn't seem to like the solids- he still nurses about every three hours- sometimes every two hours. And I won't replace a nursing session with a meal- so I think part of it is just that he is never really hungry for the solids. He will watch us eat and act like he wants everything that we are eating. I have taken some veggies from my plate and broken off tiny amounts and fed those to him and he only does fair with them. The best meal he has eaten was when my mom cooked some stew beef with carrots and potatoes- no seasoning other than a little bit of salt. I cut up the carrots and potatoes and he ate those really well. He's also had some spinach that I had at a restaurant- and he gobbled it up. So last night I made some homemade chicken noodle soup and cooked him his own with just a few pieces of chicken, carrots and noodles with a tiny amount of onion powder- no salt. He would hardly eat it.

He usually wakes up at about 7 am and then will nurse sometime around or before 8 am, and then is ready for nap at about 9:30. I try to offer him something before nap- like this morning some banana and cheerios. He just wasn't interested. Then he woke up at 11:30 and was ready to nurse, so I nursed him. About 1 pm I tried to do a meal- some acorn squash with some steamed zucchini mixed in for a chunkier texture, and some banana. I got literally only one spoonful of the squash in him, and about an inch of the banana broken up into small bites. Then he nursed again at 2 pm when he went down for his nap. For dinner time I have no idea what I'm going to feed him since we're having tacos- and I know he can't have that.

This is pretty much how my days go with him. My pediatrician says that I'm on the right track with not offering a meal instead of a usual nursing session (thank God she is so supportive of breastfeeding.) But she also says I need to really advance his solids as the closer he gets to 12 months the more complementary foods he will need. He is fine on weight- at his 9 month checkup he was over 19 pounds, so fine on growth. His blood count was also great despite never having had baby cereal for the iron.

I know that my question isn't just a simple question- and sorry for rambling. This is my fourth nursling, so you'd think I'd know this- but the others took to eating just fine. One part of me keeps trying to tell myself to quit worrying and just offer things and not worry about whether he eats anything or not- and the other part feels like I need to be working harder to help him advance on the solids.

So- if any of that makes any sense I'd love to hear any and all advice or thoughts.

Default Re: The secret question!

Good question! My dd is almost 9 months and won't eat solids either. I could have written your post word for word right down to the bananas & cheerios for breakfast. sorry, no advice. nak

Quote Originally Posted by kellyd View Post
    But she also says I need to really advance his solids as the closer he gets to 12 months the more complementary foods he will need.
    I understand you're feeling worried. Even on my 4th I spend a lot of time wondering what in the world I should feed her. It sure is confusing.

Are you planing on nursing past 12 months? Could the doctor want him to eat more food just because the doctor thinks you are weaning at 12 months?

In my opinion, I'd keep nursing and offiering foods and just let him get the feel for them. Maybe around 1 year you could start letting him have solids first and then breastmilk, but until then, I wouldn't worry about it.

My LO is the same age, and she eats a small snack or two during the day. She always nurses before she eats, then she has some fruits or veggies, or cooked plain noddles or cherrios. Sometimes she likes to eat, sometimes she doesn't. Mostly, when the family is eating she wants to eat too. When she seems more ready we will start giving her more regular meals, but she will always be able to nurse as needed.

I hope this helps!
    -Jenn
    Stepmom to D (12 years)
    Proud Mom to:
    B #1 (6 years) -nursed for 18 months
    B #2 (3 1/2 years) -nursed for 2 1/2 years
    B #3 (born July 06) -still nursing!

My DD is 8.5 months, and we've been trying to introduce solids since she was about 6.5 months. It's been a very trying experience - she hated anything pureed (I make my own baby food), and I wasn't comfortable giving her chunks of anything until recently. So it was basically a banana/sweet potato/avocado diet with some puffs thrown in for good measure. And granted, I was lazy about it, too... it was just easier to bf her!

Fast forward to this week: she is loving food suddenly! Small chunks of apples, zucchini and yellow squash, mango, chicken, O's... I'm afraid to introduce too much to her too soon, so we're sort of stuck on this right now, though I do have a pear and a peach to give her in the next few days. She's all about self-feeding, and does a great job getting food into her mouth. So, it took a little time, but she's now really into it. I'm going to try some veggies that she didn't love before (acorn squash, green beans, carrots) and see how it goes. And she is still nursing just as much as before, though I am giving her a sippy of expressed bm with her meals; she is mostly just playing with the cup.

It's taken time, but I think that she's finally going to be more consistent with it (as am I). Your DS will get there when he is ready!

I nursed my first 3 babies until they weaned themselves- the last 2 at 18 months, so I don't think she's thinking I want him weaned by 12 months. He's doing slightly better with self-feeding- so I think we're just going to go that route. I'm really thinking that one part is that since he still nurses so much that he's just not genuinely ever really hungry- so just a few bites does it for him.