Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Working - Baby Not Eating at Day Care!!! Please Help!

Default Working - Baby Not Eating at Day Care!!! Please Help!

Hi,
    I have been working for about 1 1/2 months now, and the last 2-3 weeks my 4 mo baby will not eat during the day - sometimes taking as little as 5 oz while we are apart (9 hours).
    I can tell her weight is going down. When we get home in the afternoon, she will nurse for an hour or so. Then 2-3 more times before I go to bed. I have been letting her sleep with my husband and me so that I can nurse her at night (she was sleeping through the night before i went back to work).
    I also worry about my supply. I used to get 5 oz from each side each time I pumped, now I only get 3 per side in the afternoons. I am really worried that my production is going down.
    Any thoughts on how to help baby eat more during the day and how to keep my production up while I am at work?

Default Re: Working - Baby Not Eating at Day Care!!! Please Help!

Baby may not be taking much during the day due to many reasons - not liking the bottle nipple, or temp, or position held in, or activity in the room, or something else totally. Can you talk to the caregivers to work with them to find out what might be upsetting baby?

Sounds like you are doing what she needs when you're together.

For supply, tell us more about what kind of pump you are using, and your pumping schedule.
    Shannon
    LLL Leader

Protect your privacy online; don't use your full name. Click My Alias at the top left corner.

I'm horrible at html and encoding links, so I apologize in advance for all the long links!

i usually pump after i feed baby in the morning - around 7am. then again at work at 10:30am. then at 3pm. i am usually home in the evenings by 6pm.
    i am using a medela pump in style.
    i have tried a variety of bottles/nipples. she does good for about an ounce and then really doesnt want anything to do with the bottle. she will take the bottle from her dad if i am not around.
    any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

My daughter did the same thing. I was worried about it and messed around with the nipples a little bit. I think I may have switched to a fast nipple, but I don't know that it did much good. The sitter thought she was too interested in what the 2 year old boy was doing. I finally just had to believe that she was getting enough and trust her.

My situation is probably different because we were only apart for 5 hours at a stretch, but you aren't alone. The other boy my sitter had wouldn't take anything from a bottle when he was very little. He only wanted his mama.

is there anyway you can go and nurse her at lunchtime?

Have you tried leaving a shirt of yours with the caregiver, something with your scent on it that she can hold while she feeds the baby? Sometimes this little reminder of you helps baby to feed.

My daughter was the same way for several months when she first started daycare. The first month was the hardest-she maybe took 5 ounces during a 9.5 hour day.

Our caregivers suggested we give her bottles on the weekend--but after 8 weeks of age my daughter never took them at home--not from me or my hubby. She has had a total of three bottles at home in her entire life! Eventually, she warmed up to taking bottles from her caregivers and would eventually take about 8 to 10 ounces a day.

She would usually come home (at 6pm) and do marathon nursing sessions with me until her bedtime and through the night. This is ok, some babies take this route when they really just want their mommies. They take the absolute min. from the bottle and wait patiently for mommy. It is kind of a compliment actually!

Make sure you continue to pump during the day to maintain your supply. I'd pump one breast at 5 am (about 1 hour before Maya's first a.m.feed), then I'd pump again at noon and 3 pm. I ate oatmeal every day and drank Mother's Milk tea and LOTS of water. These techniques enabled me to keep pumping until Maya was 15 months.

Hang in there. The situation will improve and your baby will be just fine! You will both get through this.

thank you all for all of your help.
    she is doing better now. taking about 10 oz a day instead of 5...so that is progress - right?
    i think that she knows if she holds out that she will be able to eat all she wants when i am around.
    i know you all know this, but it is hard. working and being away from the baby is hard enough, then throw in pumping, and her not eating...
    anyway, this is motivation to pay off all of our bills and to start living on NOTHING so that i can stay home!