Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: does this sound possible?

Default does this sound possible?

Hi everyone! I am relactating for my 6-month-old. I've been pumping for 3 weeks now, and yesterday I pumped almost 15 oz for the day. I'm currently having to dump the milk because I'm on Cipro for a kidney infection, but I'm done with the medicine tomorrow, so on Sunday we are going to try latching the baby on again. 10 days ago he latched on 3 times (for the first time in over a month) but only after drinking bottles and dosing off for his naps. When he was hungry and awake he refused the breast.

Dh and I were wondering if our plan will work- starting Sunday morning just keep offering the breast. Especially in the morning there's plenty of milk there- my first pump of the day I usually get 3 oz. Not as much as he usually gets in a bottle, but enough to give him quite a bit and not frustrate him. I REALLY don't want to get him latched on and then have to give bottles of formula to supplement. I know he'll be hungry, but figured it'd be like a "hungry day" during a growth spurt- he'll just nurse and nurse and nurse and that way my body will know to up the production some more.

Has anyone done this? I'm concerned that if I keep giving bottles he's going to keep preferring them. If I can just get him latched on I think we'll do okay. And no, we aren't going to buy a SNS. I think I'd rather put formula in a sippy if we need to use it at all, but I'm SO hopeful that we won't need to supplement at all.

thoughts???

Default Re: does this sound possible?

Hi,

[QUOTE=missingnursing;190758]Hi everyone! I am relactating for my 6-month-old. I've been pumping for 3 weeks now, and yesterday I pumped almost 15 oz for the day.[QUOTE]

Yeah for you!! That's great news!

I'm currently having to dump the milk because I'm on Cipro for a kidney infection,
    Yikes! That definitely sounds like no fun. I hope you're feeling better.

but I'm done with the medicine tomorrow, so on Sunday we are going to try latching the baby on again. 10 days ago he latched on 3 times (for the first time in over a month) but only after drinking bottles and dosing off for his naps. When he was hungry and awake he refused the breast.
    That's awesome that he is willing to try latching on. You might try encouraging him to nurse before he's really hungry. A baby who is used to bottles can get very frustrated by the slower milk flow from the breast when they are ravenous. It might also help if you would hand express or pump a little before latching him on, to get the milk flowing and give him "instant gratification".

Oh, and latching him on when very sleepy or already asleep is a great idea, too . This works well for many moms in similar situations. There are some more ideas that might work for you at the end of this article: http://www.llli.org/NB/NBJulAug01p136.html .

Dh and I were wondering if our plan will work- starting Sunday morning just keep offering the breast. Especially in the morning there's plenty of milk there- my first pump of the day I usually get 3 oz. Not as much as he usually gets in a bottle, but enough to give him quite a bit and not frustrate him. I REALLY don't want to get him latched on and then have to give bottles of formula to supplement. I know he'll be hungry, but figured it'd be like a "hungry day" during a growth spurt- he'll just nurse and nurse and nurse and that way my body will know to up the production some more.
    If he'll do this, great! Nurse, nurse, nurse is an effective way to boost milk production and get breastfeeding going again. Just remember RULE #1: FEED THE BABY. If he refuses to nurse, you need to feed him somehow. A sippy cup would probably work...and then don't forget to pump. You can give him the milk you pump in the sippy. As you reduce/eliminate supplements, be sure to monitor "diaper output". Baby should be having 6-8 wet cloth diapers (5-6 really wet disposables) and about 2-3 bms per day. At this age, bms can be less frequent in a breastfed baby, so volume is important. If baby is only having a bm once every 1-3 days, it should be very big, and not at all hard.

Has anyone done this? I'm concerned that if I keep giving bottles he's going to keep preferring them. If I can just get him latched on I think we'll do okay. And no, we aren't going to buy a SNS. I think I'd rather put formula in a sippy if we need to use it at all, but I'm SO hopeful that we won't need to supplement at all.
    Your concern is valid...just be sure to be patient with yourself and your baby. You've made sooo much progress. Try to savor your success and not stress over the hurdles you have left to overcome. Oh, and if you are interested, here is a link to a Dr. Jack Newman handout that includes instructions for making your own SNS, which would be more economical than buying one.

HTH. Keep up the great work!

Tiana

Default Re: does this sound possible?

I'll be done with the cipro tomorrow so not too much longer anyway. Doctor said 24-48 hours for it to clear my system, so I'm waiting till Sunday to try to nurse the baby. Gives me a little more time to boost my supply!

Quote Originally Posted by Mummy View Post
    Cipro is not ideal for the nursing mother, but it is not contraindicated either. In fact, it is approved by the American Academy of Pediatrics for use in nursing moms (http://www.aap.org/policy/0063). However, there are close relatives to it that are better for nursing moms that the DR might prescribe instead, or even another drug in a completely different family. There are many different antibiotics that are OK for nursing moms.

Ciprofloxacin is listed as category L3 or "moderately safe" in the 2004 edition of "Medications and Mothers' Milk" by Thomas Hale PhD. Cipro has been implicated in a problem called arthropathy in which the synovium (lining of the joint) in young animals (beagle dogs) was noted to swell significantly. It is controversial as to whether this occurs in human infants.

You want to re-consider dumping your milk and not latching your baby on sooner.