Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: am I obsessing? food/fine motor & gross motor

Default am I obsessing? food/fine motor & gross motor

OK- 7mo ds is eating solids well and is showing lots of table food readiness: grabbing things on plate, trying different flavours and textures etc. (IE: ribs and bbq sauce) Would I be correct in this thinking? So I've started cutting up his fruit pieces and some of his meat... here in lies the problem. I cut it up small enough that he won't choke on it- but it's so small he can't pick it up on his tray!!! His little fingers just don't have the fine motor control yet. You can see he is trying and concentrating so hard- his little mouth is open and he leans down to get closer to food.

In the next breath- the first time mom in me (I know all babies develop at different rates) wonders if I should be doing some kind of "fine motor exercises". How much of a keener am I? Is that the teacher coming out in me?

My next question is kinda similar... ds has never been a huge fan of tummy time. I have been doing it with him on his level, when he's happy and not tired/gassy/etc... he's now able to push himself backwards... and rolls occaisionly. Well now he just gets so mad (and bangs his little head) when he can't reach his toy... or get out of his uncomfortable position...
    Do I let him get mad (and maybe motivated to move more- teach him independence etc) or rescue him (and possibly be teaching him that I'll do everything for him when he squawks??)

TIA for suggestions, stories and plain old wisdom advice (I'm not opposed to being told to relax and let him do it when he's ready).

Default Re: am I obsessing? food/fine motor & gross motor

As far as food is concerned, most things are hard to pick up, even for an adult! Try to pick up a little piece of banana and you'll see just how difficult it is! I'd say keep the foods french-fry size and let your LO go to town. Give him some O's for working the pincer grasp. They're easier to pick up yet when he pops them in his mouth they turn to mush almost instantaneously.

With the crawling/scooting frustration he's feeling, it's a factor in the motivation to learn, for sure. Like you, I'd get antsy and want to help my DD out at the first frustrated cry, but I'd let her work at it for about a minute, then I'd help her out. Usually, rather than bringing the toy to her, I'd put my hands on her feet to give her leverage to push forward. This way I could help her out without taking away from her discovery. And then sometimes I'd just give her the toy

And relax. Let him do it when he's ready

Quote Originally Posted by Evin View Post
    And relax. Let him do it when he's ready

For food - the "french fry" shape has been a big success with my DS. Some foods are naturally in a good shape for picking up - like green beans (I get the baby ones, trim the ends, steam until a little mushy but still solids enough for DS to pick up). Sometimes it's hard for DS to pick up foods from his tray because they might be a little slippery - so I either hold the food in my fingers for DS to take from me or put it on the flat of my open hand for DS to pick up from my hand (which is less slippery than his tray).

If I recall correctly - 7 mo is on the young end for a pincer grip. I think that at that age my DS was picking up food with his whole hand and got a good pincer grip somewhere around 8 or 8.5 mo.

In my opinion, doing a baby led approach to solids and letting baby figure out how to self feed provides lots of incentive and practice for figuring out a pincer grip and other dexterity.

For tummy time stuff - I let DS get a little frustrated and don't immediately pick him up or hand him the toy. Often he'll figure it out. Like Evin, I try to figure out ways that I can help DS by bracing his feet or moving the toy a little closer to where I'm pretty sure he can get it with only a small amount of effort. And then if he's really upset I pick him up and give him lots of kisses. Although some babies are crawling at 7 mo, its also on the early side. Interestingly, at my DS 9 mo well baby check the doctor asked about mobility which can be any sort of rolling or scooting and not necessarily crawling.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

French fry shape sounds great! So it sounds like I don't have to follow the 1cm rule so closely then? (Don't give them anything bigger than 1cm around, long or wide until 12 mo)

Quote Originally Posted by danou View Post
    French fry shape sounds great! So it sounds like I don't have to follow the 1cm rule so closely then? (Don't give them anything bigger than 1cm around, long or wide until 12 mo)
    I've been following the guidelines in this baby led solids article. Lots of good info!

For things that are totally mushable (sweet potato) I put a blob of food on DS tray and he'll grab a handfull, probably play with it, and mush off an appropriate size piece to put in his mouth.

Check out the threads on "baby led weaning" or "baby led solids" for lots of ideas about what foods to offer and when others' LO mastered various foods.

I offered pretty soft foods until I had confidence that my LO was able to control the food in his mouth (no more gagging) and demonstrated the ability to chew (or mush in his mouth) pieces of food.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)