Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: nitrates in homemade veggies?

Default nitrates in homemade veggies?

I have been making my 6 1/2 mo old DS homemade babyfood. So far he has had avocados, carrots, sweet potatoes, and zucchini. I recently s/w a LLL leader, who told me that it is better to buy jar food, as many veggies are grown in soil contaminated with nitrates (even organic soil has nitrates naturally ocurring in the soil). I guess it depends on the geographic area. The jar food is made from veggies where the nitrates in the soil are low. Has anyone heard of this? Which veggies does it involve?2nd question....How can I give my LO iron? I heard he needs iron/protein rich foods at 6 months, as my breastmilk reserves are lower. Rice cereal constipates him, and I would like other alternatives. Is white flaky fish (wild caught) ok to start at 6 months (pureed of course)?3rd question...Does anyone have a crazy MIL who wants to give your LO things you do not want him to have? Mine is already talking about giving him galumpki's, juice, icecream, butter...you name it. I'm afraid to ever leave him with them.

Kathryn,
    Mama to my sweet blueberry eyed boy Joshua
    born on 11/2/2006

and my blueberry eyed baby Jonah Henry...my water birth baby!
    born on 6/15/09

MOBY WRAPS ROCK

Default Re: nitrates in homemade veggies?

Soya beans, broccoli, lentils, spinach and patatos are good sources of iron...

According to my pediatrician making your own baby food is safe. The baby food in jars has nitrates as well. You can't remove them. I make my own baby food as well.

http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/nitratearticle.htm

check out this site for information on nitrates. I always give my son homemade food. Just to be on the safe side I didn't give him any carrots and spinach just until 9 months. Instead I gave him sweet potatoes for instance. The best source of iron is red meat. When it is given along with a vitamin C-rich vegetable (like broccoli since vitamin C is essential for iron absorption) it will be all your baby needs for iron. Fish is a potential allergen but it depends on your family history whether you give your baby fish earlier or later.

I've read in several places that spinach, carrots, and sometimes beets are the biggest nitrate veggies and to buy those in jars.

Quote Originally Posted by desperate View Post
    http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/nitratearticle.htm

check out this site for information on nitrates. I always give my son homemade food. Just to be on the safe side I didn't give him any carrots and spinach just until 9 months. Instead I gave him sweet potatoes for instance. The best source of iron is red meat. When it is given along with a vitamin C-rich vegetable (like broccoli since vitamin C is essential for iron absorption) it will be all your baby needs for iron. Fish is a potential allergen but it depends on your family history whether you give your baby fish earlier or later.

I was just going to post this link. It's a great site for solid introduction.

thanks. That article is great! very helpful, and I can breath easier. I enjoy making my own foods

Kathryn,
    Mama to my sweet blueberry eyed boy Joshua
    born on 11/2/2006

and my blueberry eyed baby Jonah Henry...my water birth baby!
    born on 6/15/09

MOBY WRAPS ROCK

How can I give my LO iron? I heard he needs iron/protein rich foods at 6 months, as my breastmilk reserves are lower
    My Lo's iron level was low even though he was EBF, so do give ur LO Iron rich foods.

I bought organic hulled oats made it into powder n then cooked in lill bit of water for 10 mins, Oat is rich with Iron, to make it even richer I followed Evin's advice and mashed few Apricots in it, my LO loved it..n thats how the oatmeal became Iron fortified...

I was lookin in a package of Cereal and found that it contains Irong (mg) 10 per 100g, while as a home made oetmeal contains Iron (mg) 4.72 per 100gm, mix the homemade oatmeal with Iron rich fruits and u get a baby food that contains pretty much same amount of Iron if not more.....HTH

Noora

Proud Mother to Ziyad, born naturally, November 3 2006

Breastfed for 26 months and still co-sleeping
    "Do more than belong, participate. Do more than care, help.

Do more than believe, practice. Do more than be fair, be kind.

Do more than dream, work!."

dr sears has some great info on iron
    http://www.askdrsears.com/html/4/t043100.asp

as far as getting jars or making your own thats up to you.
    heres the links about starting solid foods from LLL
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/NB/NBsolids.html