Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: DS is sick - questions on that

Default DS is sick - Need inputs/advice

Hi ladies
    been out of touch for sometime....
    he is now 5.5 months
    Exclusive BF and normal weight/height gain

DS is been sick since past 3 days .. his stools test revealed presence of Puzz cells and mucus. hence pediac put him in BACIGYL.. also he has been coughing lil ..pediac advised expectorant too

last night and al of sudden got fever ..101deg F
    I have been administering him crocin (medicine for fever in India) every four hours but fever goes down and comes in again !

now any medicine i give him he somehow gets it out even after 20 mts of taking it in.. am worried !
    his poop also frothy..

can fever this be because of the infection?
    or can he be teething?
    DH is out of town and am really worried ..probably first time he is sick and am alone also !!
    any inputs ...i need help here
    appreciate it
    Last edited by Vinodha; May 16th, 2007 at 03:56 AM.

Default Re: DS is sick - questions on that

Hi

When a temperature keeps coming back after medicine wears off it is usually a sign of infection.
    is he having a lot of dirty nappies
    keep breast feeding him and try and keep his temp down. i would probably bring him back to the doctor to get him checked out he might need and antibiotic to get rid of the infectionif he is not already on one if he is how long as it should kick in at least after a day.it will help reassure you every thing is ok trust your instincts we are usually right

you mentioned Puzz cells what are these ive never heard of them before
    hope this helps Niamh
    mammy to 20/02/01 22/03/03 12/04/06 26/08/08
    wife to my lovely husband Paul

Default Re: DS is sick - Need inputs/advice

Quote Originally Posted by Vinodha View Post
    Hi ladies
    been out of touch for sometime....
    he is now 5.5 months
    Exclusive BF and normal weight/height gain

DS is been sick since past 3 days .. his stools test revealed presence of Puzz cells and mucus. hence pediac put him in BACIGYL.. also he has been coughing lil ..pediac advised expectorant too

last night and al of sudden got fever ..101deg F
    I have been administering him crocin (medicine for fever in India) every four hours but fever goes down and comes in again !

now any medicine i give him he somehow gets it out even after 20 mts of taking it in.. am worried !
    his poop also frothy..

can fever this be because of the infection?
    or can he be teething?
    DH is out of town and am really worried ..probably first time he is sick and am alone also !!
    any inputs ...i need help here
    appreciate it

Since the fever is new, I'd call his pediatrician today/now to report that. The pedi also needs to know that medicine isn't staying down -- or is going through in 20 min -- too fast.

Stool tends to change in response to illness and/or medications given -- new things in baby's intestinal tract affect digestion. The frothiness may be related to things passing through too quickly right now. Should settle again when he's feeling better, although may last a bit longer as his intestinal tract may need time to heal a bit.

Breasfed babies' stools often have cells associated with infection in them -- that's because your milk has cells that bind to bacteria or viruses so they get pooped out. However, I'm not sure what puzz cells are -- do you mean pus cells? If so, I'd ask his doctor more specifically what is meant by that -- may be an example of how the breastfed baby working to get rid of infectious cells or may mean something else.

Your milk has disease-fighting and healing anti-inflammatory properties, so the best thing for him to have.

Keep us posted. Hope he (and you) feel better soon.

Default Re: DS is sick - Need inputs/advice

Hi Dears thanks for your updates

yes I am giving him crocin (infant dosage and equivalent to tylenol) ...with the doc's advise only. and Doc has told me dosage also according to his weight.
    Now sorry it is puss cells..My bad ...typo in hurry
    my pediac said he might have puss cells buz of he keeping everything in mouth ..she also added u cannot control it all ..
    and now that he is on Exclusive BF she asked me not to worry
    she asked meto try giving the bacigyl (anitbiotic for the infection) but he isnot taking it !
    one good update ..no fever since 8:30pm India time..now it is almost 6 hrs..
    am also using naso clear drops for his nose block as he is not taking expectorant too !
    fingers crossed..waiting to see reaction indaytime and if needed i must visit my pediac again ..