Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: mastitis question

Default mastitis question

This morning i went to urgent care, and it looks like i have mastitis.YUCK!, My question is when i have the chills, is it more difficult for my little guy to nurse?
    tia
    gabby

Default Re: mastitis question

Yuck indeed! Mastitis is awful; I hope you recover quickly.

Your fever and other symptoms shouldn't really interfere all that much with your baby's ability to nurse. Be sure you are staying hydrated, warm, and getting LOTS of rest -- your body is already stressed by the infection, and if you don't take care of yourself your usual letdown response might get thrown off a bit. But just keep nursing and resting as much as you possible can, especially with the affected breast. Hope you are feeling better soon!

--Rebecca

Yikes!

I had it when DD was about a month old...I hope things get better

My dr actualy said frequant nursing is what will HELP get rid of it - so I would nurse more when you feel up to it

I have had mastitis twice now with ds, god I hated it so painful. I was also told nurse that side as much as possible to remove it. Even if you just nurse that side only eventually over time you can get the opposite breast to produce more milk. I did find though when my temp was higher I found ds wouldn't nurse as much. He almost made it seem like the milk was too hot for him to nurse. Cause when I took tylenol and temp came down he didn't have any problems nursing.

If you are used to nursing on both sides during a feeding and your baby wants it that way, nursing the affected side first often helps as they seem to suck with the most force at the beginning of feedings.