Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice Plz!!

Default Advice Plz!!

This Is My Situation...we Had A Hard Time With Bf At The Beginning And I Was Bf And Supplementing....but I Want To Just Bf Now That Dd Is 5mo. How Do I Stop The Supplements And What If I Dont Have Enough Milk?

Default Re: Advice Plz!!

Kellymom has a great page on this. Basically, you have to do it really slowly so your supply can adjust. Good luck!

I'm going to move you to our relactation forum so you can get the help you need!
    Hugs
    Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

Quote Originally Posted by MomtoJosh View Post
    Kellymom has a great page on this. Basically, you have to do it really slowly so your supply can adjust. Good luck!
    thanks ill look at that site

Hi Melissa,

How are things going for you? Have you been able to reduce the amount of supplement your baby gets? What can we do to support you at this time?

Tiana

i have been putting her to the breast more often....my supply hasnt come up that much..i pumped yesterday and barely got 3 oz.from both...so i figured she was maybe going little hungry...i stopped supp. but after that i questioned how much she has been getting...so i started the bottle again...i think what im going to do and correct me if im not making the right choice..she has about 6 oz.s at one feeding i was going to make a bottle for 4 or 5 ozs and then let her latch for the rest? i need to restart my fenugreek but i read that it isnt as effective as in the first couple of months...my dd is s5mo.now.....

3 oz at one pumping session is actually a decent output.

Ditto PP. Three ounces is actually pretty good for pumping. Babies are much more efficient at removing milk from the breast than even the best pumps are. If you get three ounces while pumping, there's a very good chance that LO gets much more than that when nursing directly.

The best way to tell if baby is getting enough to eat is to monitor diaper output. Baby should be having 6-8 wet cloth diapers (5-6 really wet disposables) per day and about 2-3 bms. At this age, the frequency of bms can vary, so volume is important. If baby is only having a bm every 1-3 days, it should be very big and not at all hard.

You asked about offering the bottle and then nursing her afterward. It would actually be better for your milk supply if you would nurse her as long as she is willing...switching sides and doing breast compressions...and then offer the supplement only if she seems unsatisfied after at least a good 20-30 minutes of nursing.

Here's some more info that might help you.

Hang in there. You're doing a great job!

Tiana

I got my lo off supplements at 8 weeks old. Here is how I did it...

I offered the breast every 2 hours-she was a newborn so you could prob go longer, but if you want to build your supply, you might try the every 2 hours. After lo nurses on each breast until empty, offer the supplement. I started offering supp after every nursing session, then every other, then a few times a day, and then only once a day. It took a while to drop that last bottle of supp. She took onlky 1 bottle a day for 3 weeks in the afternoon. It was only 2 oz, but she wanted it. LIke I said, by 8 weeks old, she was totally off the supp.

Good luck and give it a try. Several other ladies have had success with it. private message me if you have any questions about it.

Oh, definately nurse BEFORE you give the supplement. That way your breast will empty and therefore make more milk.