Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will breastfeeding ever get easier??

Unhappy Will breastfeeding ever get easier??

I am so stressed out. My DS is 10 days old. He latches on good and gets plenty of milk since he is pooping and peeing alot. He just wants to eat alll the time. I feed him every 1/2 hour to hour and he falls asleep after about 10 mins. My nipples are sooo sore from feeding him all the time. I also feel like I have been sitting on the couch breastfeeding since we got home from the hospital. It stresses me out that no one can help me since I am the only one who can feed him. I have tried pumping (with the medela PIS) and only get a 1/4 of an ounce (not sure what I am doing wrong) I keep thinking about switching to formula, but it really upsets me. I know breastmilk is so much better and I hate to take our closeness away from him. Please tell me it will get better. I am so upset!

Default Re: Will breastfeeding ever get easier??

well I cannot offer MUCH advice since I am a first time Mom also, but hun, I will tell you it does get easier, I was just like you at first, getting discouraged and wondering if I could really do it, hang in there, try finding a lactation consultant in your area, maybe she can help *hugs*

10 days may seem like an eternity, but really it's a very short time :-) It will definitly get easier. For now, take this time to bond with your son, take care of his nursing needs. All too soon he'll be a big, independant boy and you might actually miss these days of non-stop nursing. I promise that unless you have a bad latch your nipples will not stay sore, and eventually (sooner than you think!) nursing will go to every four hours, then just a few times a day. You will be ok!

NAK.....my ds was like this also in the beg and trust me it does get eaiser as time goes by! use LOTS of lanolish (sp?) for the soreness and MAKE SURE he has good latch! stock up on snacks, fluids, yhe laptop/book/dvds and the remotes, take a seat in the rocker or couch and enjoy not only is the baby 10 days and nursing round theclock but it also is a way for you to recover. nursing makes you slow down and concertrate on baby and helps your body heal from delivery. granted the house wont be clean but babys are little for only so long.....the housework/chores will ALWAYS be there! ENJOY hubby can help with household stuff (maynot br done to how you like but ohh well), chaning/burping baby. if faqmily/friends want to help ask them to make dinner or start a load of laundry...good luck
    Last edited by rachael; April 15th, 2006 at 12:43 PM.

Hang in there -- it will definitely get easier if you just persist through this newborn stage.

He is probably having a growth spurt right now -- the first one is usually at 10 days, so he's right on schedule. ALL you do is nurse nurse nurse during a growth spurt, and then suddenly the baby may switch from being constantly hungry to just sleeping a lot, so don't be surprised if that happens.

The sore nipples aren't good, though. When did this start? Do you see any damage like cracks or blisters? Does the pain get better after a minute or two of nursing, or does it hurt continuously through a feeding?

It's wonderful that his diaper output is good -- that's a really positive sign that your nursing relationship is getting off to a good start. So many moms at 10 days postpartum are having to fight their baby to get him to nurse, worried about their milk supply or baby's dehydration, or a dozen other pretty serious problems. You deserve congratulations for doing so well so quickly with your baby!

I know how you feel when you say nobody can help you since the only person who can feed the baby is you. I felt just plain LONELY a lot when my son was a newborn. People mostly left us alone to get on with it, which I suppose was better than interference -- and my DH was great about taking care of the house and our older son, for which I was grateful -- but a newborn isn't very good company, and I felt very alone in those early weeks.

Use the phone and internet to connect to friends/family, and do what you can to take care of yourself while you meet your baby's needs during this intense time. It WILL get easier soon!

--Rebecca

I had a similar problem with my first son. I cried every time I sat down to feed him. I was so frustrated. I was silly and waited until he was 5 weeks old before I went to a lactation consultant. My husband and I don;t have a lot of money but I would have paid her anything for the way she helped me. He was nursing constantly and my nipples were extrememtly sore. She fixed my latch, which I thought was fine, and everything was great after that. I nursed him until he was 18 months old, because I was pregnant with my 2nd. I am so glad I hung in there because all I went through was well worth it!

My daughter is one month old. It is only now finally getting easier for me, and I totally know where you are coming from. It DOES get easier! The first week was emotional and physically hell for me. It took days for my milk supply to come in and she was not getting enough to eat, her pediatrician had me supplement with formula for 24 hours because she was not urinating and was at risk for dehydration. I was an emotional mess and felt guilty for giving her formula in a bottle. I felt like such a failure and it still saddens me a bit when I think about it.

Now, things are great with the breastfeeding. No more bottles, no formula!! No more sore nipples!! And I wanted to give up SO many times, especially at night when I was almost throwing up from the sleep deprivation and getting pooped and peed on while my husband snores peacefully. But when she looks up at me with her big eyes, I know I made the right decision and I just pray that we continue to be successful. I actually look forward to feeding her!

Keep at it, get help if you need it and it will get better!
    Last edited by sblairc; April 15th, 2006 at 10:59 PM. Reason: added statement

I also know exactly what your going through. I promise you it gets better! and it gets better fast! My dd is 8 weeks old and the first 6 weeks were so hard! I cried more in those six weeks than I ever have in my life! I felt like I had no other purpose in life than to be a big boob!

Elaina was feeding the first 3 weeks constantly but then gradually began feeding every 2 hours, with 3-4 hour stretches at night and now, on the EXACT day she turned 8 weeks, she started sleeping through the night . I can tell you that the lack of sleep you are getting right now is really affecting you mentally but that it gets so much better. I feel like a new person. Hang in there with the breastfeeding, get loads of movies you've always wanted to see and books you've wanted to read, plunk yourself on the couch and nurse away- it'll be over before you know it! I think we'll all be missing these days soon enough!

AMEN to all of these reponses! It really does get so much easier and better! Those first few weeks are tough, but it so soooo worth it and gets much easier with time and patience! Keep up the good job!!

Yes, it definitely will get easier, but it might take a while. I was sore for nine weeks and often thought about giving up. Then I looked at my nursing baby and though, I don't want to take this away from her. Every week I said, I'll try it for another week, and eventually it just all fell into place. Now, two years later, I am stull nursing my toddler and as for nursing my new baby, it is ridiculously easy!

Hang in there, you'll make it!