Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Butter and 6 month old!

Default Butter and 6 month old!

Could someone let me know about using butter with solid food for my 6 monht old? Tonight I made oatmeal, whole rolled oats with just water, but the baby didn't like it. So, daddy said, why not mix watermellon with runny oatmeal and it worked like charm.

By the same rule, I wanted to make some veggies, like potatoes and peas and put a bit of butter for taste.

Is it acceptable?

Default Re: Butter and 6 month old!

Your BM is sweet, so that's why when you added a little fruit to the cereal it was accepted better. Did you try mixing BM with the cereal? That will probably work without you having to add anything else to the cereal.

I wouldn't put butter on you LO's portion of veggies. Let your LO get used to the taste of veggies without anything added for flavor. They already have a bit of natural sweetness to them so most are accepted happily by your LO. Any veggies I steam for my LO never has anything added to it. I don't need the extra calories and fat, neither does she.
    Our blessings from God!
    Kylee was born September, 2006 - 9 lbs. 12 1/2 oz, 21 inches long.
    Kiefer was born January, 2008 - 6 lbs. 14 oz, 19 1/2 inches long.
    He was diagnosed with a severe peanut allergy at 12 1/2 months old. Others later discovered.
    And I am even more blessed by being married to my best friend and the most honorable man I've ever known.

"The hand that rocks the cradle rules the world." - Abraham Lincoln

Fat calories are good for the baby, look at whole milk. They now advise mothers not to give anything low fat until 2 years of age.

I just needed to know if it's appropriate for her age.

I put small amounts of butter and milk or cream cheese in the mashed potatoes that I made him when he was that age. He loved it. Same with oatmeal.
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

Even though I do not believe that humans should drink the milk of another species, I have still read about dairy in the infant diet. I am certain that I read somewhere that it is not recommended (by the AAP) to give any dairy whatsoever before the first birthday due to an increased risk of allergy development.

Here's one link that discusses the issue.
    Last edited by season32; May 16th, 2007 at 06:40 PM. Reason: link added

Some dairy products are ok before 1 year...yogurt, soft cheeses, etc. I used butter, sour cream, and cream cheese with discretion. We have no family history of allergies and I just watched him for any signs of a reaction (which he had none). It all depends on what you are comfortable with.

We don't always follow what "they" say to do.
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

I also used/use butter in LO's oatmeal in the a.m. I do not however use it on fresh vegetables. I found they are sweet enough to not need it. I do not think that a little pat of butter is a bad thing..after all fat is not bad as so many believe it to be...of course everything in moderation.
    Leslie- Momma to Aiden 02/28/06 AND Owen 2/28/08...What timing

Older and wiser voices can always help you find the right path, if you are only willing to listen.--Jimmy Buffet

The little booklet that they gave us from the ped.'s office says don't add butter to your baby's food. It doesn't explain why. I put a little bit of organic coconut oil into my son's veggies because some of the vitamins in vegetables are fat-soluble so they need oils (I am not sure if butter qualifies as one though) in order to be absorbed well. I prefer coconut oil because it has lauric acid that is also found in BM- very good for the immune system (that's why they put it into infant formula as well.)