Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help please- ounces!!

Default Help please- ounces!!

How can you determine how much breastmilk a baby is getting at each feeding? For example how many sucks is it to get to an ounce?

Thank you so much!

Default Re: Help please- ounces!!

I don't think there's a formula for sucks to ounces. I think the only accurate way to measure how much they're getting is to weigh then before and after on a baby scale. These can be bought at baby stores and sometimes you can find a place to rent them. As long as your baby is growing and having lots of wet and dirty diapers, there's not really a reason to to know the total. It's just another thing to stress about. kwim?

Yeah, I wuld just count dirty diapers....if there are not enough of those, then get a scale.

I know it can be hard, but trust your body. Drink water, and nurse baby often.

Emilee
    Wife and Mommy
    DS born on Aug 4th 2006 @ 8 lbs 14 oz and 20 inches
    DD born at Home on May 10th 2008 @ 8 lbs 14 oz and 20 inches

Even weighing a baby before and after a feed just gives you a "snapshot" of that moment--the baby will eat different amounts at different feedings throughout the day, so if you happen to catch a "snack" instead of a "full meal", you might concern yourself mistakenly This practice is really only useful in babies who are demonstrating other signs of not getting enough milk.

The best way to tell if your baby is getting enough breastmilk is to watch the output. This article is helpful: http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/enough.html

We live in a number-driven society and that can be concerning to breastfeeding mothers sometimes because they don't know EXACTLY how much baby is eating. But you can rest assured that if your baby is showing the appropriate signs (as outlined in the article linked above), he or she is eating enough!

HTH!
    Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!