Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Confused a bit...

Default Confused a bit...

Yesterday, the dr said that we should start feeding DD on demand... that we dont have to wake her up anymore to feed her, that she will let us know. Well, the problem I'm having today is that my milk keeps letting down while she's sleeping... I pumped it and we gave it to her in a bottle when she woke up... is this okay? Or should I just not pump and wait for her to wake up? I dont want my milk supply to decrease... help!

Default Re: Confused a bit...

how old is baby?
    during the day I would try to wake an nurse my newborns if they were sleeping longer then 2-3 hours. At night they seamed to get up on their own.
    You can pump milk and safe it for later if you want.
    bottles can cause baby to get a lazy latch, so be carefull introducting them if baby is young.

You don't have to do anything with the milk when it letsdown. It just happens sometimes and doesn't impact your supply. It will letdown again when your lo wants to nurse.

The beautiful thing about our supply is that it adjusts to the babies needs, so if your baby doesn't wake and you want to pump due to engorgement or pain, that's fine, but don't feed it to the baby when she wakes, just start a freezer stash for when you might have to be away. Otherwise, you don't have to pump, your breasts will eventually quit letting down so much and leaking so bad. So then when she wakes you can breastfeed and relieve engorment. If you continue in that manner, your breasts will adjust. As Andrea said, if you introduce a bottle too early (before 4-6 weeks) you run the risk of nipple confusion. Also if you are feeding the bottle and not pumping again you are still skipping a nursing session. I hope that makes since.

My milk letsdown quiet a bit when my daughter is sleeping and not ready to nurse.

Great! this really helps!! I've been pumping, then feeding the bottle to her... I will stop doing that.. instead, I will pump, freeze it and then when she wakes, I will feed her directly from the breast.

Just be aware that if you are pumping a lot you are telling your body that's the amount of milk you need. Oversupply isn't the end of the world, but it can be pretty annoying.

i agree with I-Man's Mamma, i used to wake up to pump when my lo slept thru the night and it reached a point where if i didn't, i would wake up soaked. our doctor encouraged me to get sleep at night and stop getting up to pump, because i wasn't having any supply issues and my body was going to continue making more milk at that hour if i did not. it was messy the first few nights, but then the floods stopped.

I recommend sleeping on something absorbant like cloth diapers or putting something in your bra during the day, to catch all those leaks. Your breasts will adjust over time and not leak or letdown unless you're actually nursing.

For the majority of women: the milk will be there, so try not to worry about your supply! As long as baby is nursing 8-12 times per day (assuming she's still newborm) it's OK if it's kind of erratic.

Good luck!

Anne- Mom to two active boys: Henry 10/06 and Jamie 4/09

Looking for an LLL leader in your area? click:
    http://www.llli.org/webindex.html

confused about abbreviations? check this out:
    http://forums.llli.org/showthread.php?t=807