Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 2 questions

Default 2 questions

#1. Is it better to nurse on one breast at each feeding instead of switching? Why?

#2. I am getting back to work 4 weeks after my daughter is born and I need to have hubby feed her 2 bottles while I am gone. I am putting her on a feeding schedule. Anyway, how soon should I start training her to be on both the breast and bottle?

Thanks!

Default Re: 2 questions

1. I would switch breast between feedings so that your boobs won't be lop-sided (i'm sure there's another good reason).

2. I started introducing the bottle to my LO once we got the nursing routine down because I knew that I was going back to work in 8 weeks...so I think i started around the third or 4th week and he was fine.

#1- If your baby is fussy after emptying one side, switch, but always start with the last used side to avoid lop-sidedness ( I use a hair band on my wrist to remind me which was the last side)

#2-I started pumping at 2.5 wks (which I recommend because it took me 2 weeks to get the hang of it and get more than .5 oz and as soon as i got a full bottle ( filled up over time) I started a bottle (about 3 wks)
    Danielle

Mom to Gage 12/28/06

Wife to Trinity 6/21/03 my best friend

ed for year, finally done!!!!
    for more than a year now!

I always do the switch because it keeps the boobs from getting engorged. He always eats one side and then at the next feeding switch sides.
    I read that you're supposed to introduce the bottle at4-6 weeks to avoid confusion. I started pumping at day 4.

1. I'm taking your question as: do you nurse off of both breast at each feeding? Is this right? Well it is better to give only one breast at each feeding so your LO gets more hind milk, the meat and potatoes of breastmilk.

2. We used bottles right from the get go because we had to supplement in the begining. We used the Platex nurser system to help us be able to switch between the bottle and the breast. Once my milk came in we tried not to use bottles until nursing was established.
    If you really want to bf it's best to wait to introduce bottles so you can get an adequate milk supply in by nursing often. Good luck with the feeding schedule but everything I've ever read said that babies won't really respond to parent induced schedules until at least 4 months old. Don't get discouraged if a schedule doesn't take right away, just try to leave enough ebm to get through the day.

Amy married to my bestfriend since 10/30/04

Proud SAHM to DS born 2/17/07 and DD born 9/11/08 Both weaned together 11/2011
    Currently milk, peach, peanut and tree nut free. DD has outgrown her wheat, cheese, egg, garlic, and citrus allergies

I use a hair band too!

Sometimes Lennon will take the second breast, sometimes he won't. So at times one breast will go 6-7 hours without being used, but luckilly I have no had any problems with supply or engorgement.

I gather that it is good to empty one breast per feeding. Good good!

Now this whole bottle introducing thing has me scared. I will try introducing after about 2 weeks. I only have 4 weeks at home so I suppose it'll be a learning experience.

Pray it works!