Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pumping Necessary??????

Unhappy Pumping Necessary??????

Okay, if you have read my other threads I appear to have a serious supply issue. I work really hard to get my supply up and then within a week it is down. My ds has not gained weight in 1.5 mo-possibly due to only getting foremilk-another issue. Anyways, once my supply is up I go to pumping 2-3 times a day.
    My question is, is it neccesary to pump after each feeding? Do you think it would be beneficial for me to go ahead and pump after each feeding to keep my supply up? I am really feeling down, like I am a failure. Part of me wants to quit, but a BIGGER part of me wants to keep working on it. THe hard part is, I am back at work. Some days are 2-3 hours others can be up to 8 hours. Can work and running be a cause in my supply issue? My job is not really that stressful.
    I feel like I am in desperate need of reassurance and support.

Default Re: Pumping Necessary??????

Are you pumping when you are at work? Exercise really shouldn't be having any effect on your supply but you do want to stay hydated as dehydration can impact your supply.

You mentioned that your baby hasn't gained any weight in 1.5 months, that his bm's sometimes have blood in them and they're mucousy (I think I read that in another post of yours). When baby's weight has been checked, has it been on the exact same scale, at the exact same time of day under the exact same circumstances? And are you certain that the scale wasn't calibrated in between weight checks? If you can't answer yes to both of those questions then the weight checks cannot be considered accurate.

You mentioned that baby is having plenty of wet diapers, right? (Again, I think I read that in another one of your posts).

If you are able to increase your supply easily and then it goes back down that may be because you are increasing it too much -- milk supply is about supply and demand. If you want your supply to stay up, you have to keep the same demand. So once you increase your supply and then decrease the demand, your supply will respond by decreasing.

The blood and mucous in baby's stools could be caused by a foremilk/hindmilk imbalance. You could try block feeding (I saw that someone mentioned that you in another thread) -- keeping in mind that it can take several weeks of block feeding before baby's gut recovers and you stop seeing the blood/mucous.

Your baby could also have some allergies/sensitivities too though. Have you considered a total elimination diet?

It's really not necessary to pump after each feeding unless your supply is inadequate to begin with. But if your suppy is adequate and baby seems satisfied after nursing then there's no reason to pump. You only need to make as much milk as your baby will consume. So if you were to pump and increase your supply it would only decrease again unless your baby started demanding as much as the pump did, if that makes any sense

I'm sorry you are having troubles and feeling inadequate but I assure you, you are doing the very best thing for your baby! You can work through these issues if you are motivated to do so. Hang in there!

Ds is weighed on the same scale, but not always at the same time of the day. I am not sure about the calibrations. Like I mentioned on another post, he has grown from 19 to 25 in and he is doing what is age appropriate. Which is strange since he has not gained anything. The pediatrician thinks there may be a foremilk/hindmilk imbalance also, because he has not gained any more weight. IF that is the case, how is that corrected-by block feeding?

I just noticed the bloody stools yesterday evening. There is not very much, but there is some in there. This morning his poop took up the WHOLE diaper, was greenish, runny and mucousy with a little more blood. The rest of his poops today were yellow and runny with a very little blood. He was having plenty of wet diapers until about 3 days ago when I noticed that his diapers were not as wet as they used to be. I knew then it was a supply issue again and I started working on it then. I do 9-610mg fenugreek capsules a day, eat oatmeal in the am, and drink mother's milk tea 2-3 times daily. (I drink the tea b/c I love the smell and it gets me relaxed)

I did the block feeding and then my supply decreased again. I am working on getting it back up. When we cosleep I usually wake up every 2 hrs (unintentionally) and switch sides.

How exactly do I do the elimination diet. I have cut out eating eggs and dairy products (well, I have eaten food that contained small amounts of dairy products ocassionally).

I do pump at work, but sometimes it is only for 8-10 min and occasionally I have to go 3-4 hours without pumping. But I always pump when away.
    I am not going to give up.. I am determined to do this for a year atleast, but it is frustrating that this is the 3rd time we have had a supply issue. I feel like I am doing something wrong or that my body is just not liking this. I love the bond with my son and I would be very depressed if we had to stop nursing now. I am just frustrated-I told dh he needed to give me more support than usual to make me feel better!!
    Last edited by Cutiepie; April 14th, 2006 at 10:14 PM.

If your supply decreased when you were block feeding then the block feeding worked. That's what it is designed to do. You might want to try nursing your baby more frequently throughout the day (every 1.5 to 2 hours vs. every 3). An empty breast has more hindmilk available to the baby than a breast that is full.

Nothing in baby's diet has changed recently, correct -- no formula supplements or vitamin supplements?

This may help to ease your mind a bit -- Look at the Baby, Not the Scale

Per dr orders, I had to start supplementing with soy today. I did it when my supply was low this evening with the sns system. The first time was 1 oz the second time was 2 oz.

So with the block feeding during the day when we are together I can definately feed him more frequently, so does that mean I should try to pump every 2 hours also? I am not sure if I can do that at work and if I pump it might only be for 8-10 min, is that okay?

So with the block feeding during the day when we are together I can definately feed him more frequently, so does that mean I should try to pump every 2 hours also?
    Nursing him every 1.5 to 2 hours should be adequate but if you want, you can always pump for a few minutes after each feeding.

I am not sure if I can do that at work and if I pump it might only be for 8-10 min, is that okay?
    What kind of pump are you using? If it's a double-electric then 8-10 mins should be alright.

Have you considered herbal supplements or a prescription drug to help you with your milk supply?

I am using a Medela PIS.

I am also doing 6-9 610mg tablets of Fenugreek and I have started drinking the mothers milk tea 3-5 x day.

Today I feel like my supply is even lower. I cant explain why I feel this way, I just do.
    I have been block feeding him, he has already had 1 poopy and 4 wet diapers. He fusses at my breast, he fusses away from the breast. I have been feeding him every 2 hours and this last feeding only lasted a total of 10 minutes (he has never nursed that fast, and I did not here a whole lot of swallows). When I get the chance I will pump for a couple of minutes and I am getting no more than 10 ml after 15 minutes of pumping. I have probably pumped after all but 2 nursing sessions today. He is just SUPER fussy, it makes me feel like I am not making enough milk. I gave him 2 all natural teething tablets about 30-40 min ago, b/c I think he is "preteething" and right now (since he is away from the breast) he is playing by himself in the swing. I am going to try to nurse him again after I give him a bath.
    He has also been sneezing alot today............I am feeling like I am doing something wrong.
    Good thing it is only Saturday and we have all day tommorow to nurse again!!!

You mentioned that your baby is fussy at the breast and away. It is possible he is teething. Fussiness is not necessarily a sign that your milk is inadequate, however. That is not to say you aren't experiencing supply issues, but fussiness can be attributed to any number of things.

Have you tried contacting your local LLL Leader? You can locate one by calling 1-800-laleche. A Leader can be called anytime and she will have pamphlets and information to give you so you can talk with your doctor about supplementing versus building a milk supply with breastfeeding management/prescriptions. She can also read you information from the Breastfeeding Answer Book about what slow weight gain is and how to work through it. It sounds like you are in need of a Series meeting, where many breastfeedin mothers gather and give and receive support and understanding. Many areas have meetings tailored to working moms' needs.

There are many ways to build a milk supply and many ways to make sure baby is getting enough without resorting to supplementing with formula. This may be something you might want to learn more about, as the AAP recommends exclusive breastfeeding for the first 6 months, and then that it is perfectly suited for baby's needs up to a year, and continues to give many benefits beyond a year. Breastfeeding also lessens the chances of your child developing allergies to foods now, as well as in later in life. The mucousy, blood-tinged stools you described are also indicative of a milk/dairy allergy. You might consider asking your doctor to test your baby using the scratch test, for a variety of food intolerances. That alone, when properly diagnosed and treasted by completely avoiding all food baby is sensitive (including in your own diet), may greatly improve many of the worries you are having!

Something to consider: ask your ped. if the growth chart he is using is from the CDC from 2000 or later. Charts from that year forward are inclusive of breastfeeding babies, and thus more accurate for your own baby. It is important to watch your baby--YOU are the best expert on your child and can learn to trust your instincts on whether he is the right size for HIM.

Your baby is lucky to have such a dedicated mom like you!

Warmest Regards,

Eve Erickson
    LLL Leader
    LLL of Green Valley/Henderson, NV

In my opinion, yes he is teething. The pedi says no and just kind of blew me off. When I put my finger in his mouth he starts biting it. He gets frustrated when the milk supply slows down and he has to suck harder. This make it hard for the block and one sided feeding because i will have to switch him to the other breast to get him nursing again. Not all feedings are this way, mostly just in the evening.

Oh, I had contacted a LLL LC a couple weeks ago when we encountered the no weight gain situation. She believes it is foremilk imbalance also, along with what the pedi thinks is a possibility. I definately want to go to a meeting. I think there is one coming up soon in my area.