Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: OALD and blockfeeding

cmp12345 is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Default OALD and blockfeeding

I've had oversupply issues (engorgement/fullness) for the past several weeks. However, last week, I noticed that I also had an OALD, where milk is spraying at my LO (12wks) during letdowns. I hadn't seen obvious "firehoses" before then. Just had the tingling. My LO also got fussier than usual at the breast - refusing it (until I try again about 15 min later) after the spraying letdown.

Well, I just hit the 12 week mark and am no longer engorged (I think). I also started blockfeeding (4 hr blocks) a couple of days ago. My questions are:
    - I heard that OALD may be independent of oversupply, but since I never noticed the sprays before last week, does that mean that the blockfeeding may tame or eliminate the sprays?
    -If so, how long would that take?
    -Also, if the sprays don't go away, but I don't feel full any longer, should I still increase the block to 6 hrs?

With her fussiness at breast b/c of the letdowns, I'm afraid to NIP, and I'm flying w/ her 3 times in the next few weeks! I'm in trouble b/c the side lying position is the one that works best.

Default Re: OALD and blockfeeding

Hi,

OALD can sometimes be independent of oversupply...in those cases, though, baby usually is not that fussy once mom starts removing baby from the breast until the initial letdown subsides. Block feeding would probably not be necessary in those cases, since there wouldn't be a foremilk/hindmilk imbalance.

Your baby is your indicator of whether or not your current block feeding routine is working, or if you need to increase to six hours per side. When you start to see the gassy, fussy behavior subside, and LO's stools start to return to normal, you'll know that what you are doing is working. It does take a couple of weeks for blockfeeding to really do the trick.

As far as flying is concerned, my only suggestion would be to dress in clothing that is super easy to nurse in, and bring along a lot of cloth diapers to catch the spray when LO inevitably pulls off. Will you be alone, or traveling with others? NIP can be uncomfortable when you're worried about your milk flying in every direction, so it would be easier if you had someone understanding sitting next to you. Have you tried nursing in a sling yet? You might want to give it a try and see if it works for you.

HTH,

Tiana

cmp12345 is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

ok, thanks. So if she's less fussy and stools are normal, then do I need to continue w/ blockfeeding, or do I go back to one side per feeding?

If it's working I would just shorten the blocks a little every couple days...from 6hrs to 5 to 4 and so on. See how your baby reacts to slow changes like that.