Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Human Pacifer and Nipple Tug of War

Default Re: Human Pacifer and Nipple Tug of War

Hello from yet another human pacifier
    LO has not taken a liking to any other paci besides mommy and he is almost three months old now. I have tried gently placing a paci in his mouth when he is done nursing himself to sleep and sometimes that works. Someone here suggested it to me

Quote Originally Posted by handsomesmomma View Post
    I have tried gently placing a paci in his mouth when he is done nursing himself to sleep and sometimes that works. Someone here suggested it to me
    It does work I do it all the time.
    My name is Rosie and I'm a mother to 3 girls and 2 boys

My girls:Janessa 10.30.93, Reanna 03.25.99 and Mylee 09.20.06
    My sons, Isaiah 07.16.97 and Shawn 09.12.08

i do that as well - but unfortunatly during the day he is SUCH a light sleeper - that he screams bloody murder when he realizes he is no longer attached to me. With the weather getting so hot - I am worried of him overheating with the constant push into my sides since I expell a lot of body heat (I am one of those crazies who used to sleep naked in the dead of winter with the window open)

In fact I am sitting here right now with Gabe sleep sucking on his 'favorite' nipple. he looks like he is sound asleep but if I was to put him down he'd scream =p Might need to defrost some of the BM in the freezer and beg my mom to come down this weekend so I can get some baby free time. Just frustrating having him suckle for 12 hours =p my nipples would thank me.

hey- i'm in a hurry and didn't really rad the pps- but i know my son did that at 2 distinct time periods for me- one was when he was pretty young (maybe 2 months or so) and the second was when he was about 7 months old. the first time, i think it was an instinct for him when there wasn't enough milk. the later time, he was definately experimenting with behaviour. when he did it the later time, i would put him down and say "no hurting mommy" and end the feeding session for a few minutes. when he got back on, he was usually fine. i had to do it for a few days at almost every feeding until he got the message, but he did. i know it hurts, jsut remember that LO is not doing it to hurt you, but rather to be playful/experiment etc...they don't know any better.
    HTH
    Mari
    Mommy to Mohamed 6-9-06

My DD does that and my take on why is because she is wanting to suck, but she is full. So when she gets milk she gets upset and clamps down to stop the milk. She is 5 months old and has just starting taking a paci, when I can tell that she is done nursing and just wainting to suck I slip in her paci.

Quote Originally Posted by proud mommy View Post
    My DD does that and my take on why is because she is wanting to suck, but she is full. So when she gets milk she gets upset and clamps down to stop the milk.
    Mine does this too! It took me forever to figure out why he would rear back and pull my nipple until I realized he purposely wanted a shallower latch... so he could comfort suck without drinking any more milk.

Mine also did the Nipple Tug-o-War early on (whenever he went through a growth spurt) but then it was because there wasn't enough milk. As a previous poster said, I guess it was to stimulate milk production or another letdown.

Yequita, I am having the same problem as you! In fact I have posted a thread about it.. I don't know what is wrong with her... is something hurting her, is she not hungry etc etc.

Okay I am soooo frustrated right now. All Gabe has wanted to do today is play with my nipples. NOTHINGmakes him happy except me putting him to the breast. My nipples are sore from him constantly latching releasing relatching. He hasnt slept today either which means I havent slept either which is making me REALLY cranky.

This is the time of night that I start resenting BF :s:: i just want a little sleep

My dd comfort-sucks all the time too, and still gags when I try to give her a paci Sometimes I think it may be boredom because if I engage her in activity (smiling and cooing games, taking a walk outside in the sling or stroller, or going to visit a friend) she seems to be so interested in everything else that she doesn't feel like being "attached" unless she's really hungry.

I have to tell you that I am so glad that I found this thread!
    I thought something was wrong when my LO would try to pull my nipple into the middle of next week.
    At least I know now that this appears to be normal- and that there may be reasons to it that I wasn't aware of (I kept thinking gas, too much milk coming out at once, or that she was distracted!).
    Thanks for the posts!!
    Becki