Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Human Pacifer and Nipple Tug of War

Default Human Pacifer and Nipple Tug of War

Past couple of days I have been a human pacifer. Not that I really mind EXCEPT for the fact that he has lately begun to tug and shake his head while attached. Never happens when he is nursing - only when he is comfort sucking and the past two days he has been comfort sucking for almost 12 straight hours. Making my nipples VERY VERY sore and I dont know what else I can do - he isnt sleeping during the day very long at all even though I have been trying everything I can think of. We havent found a paci he likes yet.

It is causing some problems with the hubby - he is convinced that Gabe is starving and I should supplement him. What he doesnt realize is that there is a difference in his latcha nd his suck when he is just at the breast for comfort. His diaper output and his weight gain is significant (10lbs already - thats over 3 lbs in a month!) so I know he is getting enough. Just really dont know what to do about hte painful tugs and shakes.

Default Re: Human Pacifer and Nipple Tug of War

I remember reading or hearing somewhere that they will pull tug shake and bury there faces in your breast to draw your nipple out. It is a very natural instincitive action for them. My DS does it and at 14mo. now he will even get mad and complain at it on occasion when it isn't drawn out enough for his comfort nursing. As far as I know it is perfectly normal.
    Wife to Michael since 11/03/01

SAHM to DD#1 1/23/95 BF 3 days
    DS#1 9/6/03 BF 6 months
    DS#2 3/1/06 BFing with no end in sight and...
    DD#2 11/04/2008 going strong.

Never thought I would tandem nurse but here I am!

214***210********200****195****190****185****180****175****170* ***165

My baby does the samething. She is ALWAYS comfort nursing.I can tell by the way she is sucking if she is eating or just nursing for comfort. My daughter is also about 10lbs, so I know she is getting enough. How old is you baby?
    It is great for the milk supply, so I let her nurse as much as she wants. I have had milk supply issues from the begining, so I let her nurse when she wants and for however long she wants.
    My daughter will not take a pacifier. She will refuse them.
    Just letting you know I know what you are going through.

This is happening to me, too. I have no magic answer for you, just wanted you to know you weren't alone.

Add me to the roster! I have been battling this as well...in addition to the gummy bites when he's fussy. Sooooo Sore! I've been putting his chilled teething rattle thing on my nipple after he does it...seems to help a little with the pain. I think he's teething
    Mama to Evan Born February 1st 2007 Breastfeeding for a year...thinking of weaning
    Wife to my Best Friend KR

I have even seen horses to the nipple tug of war, it is to stimulate milke production, my LO stopped at about 10 wks or so
    Danielle

Mom to Gage 12/28/06

Wife to Trinity 6/21/03 my best friend

ed for year, finally done!!!!
    for more than a year now!

OMG my LO has been doing this to and she is also 10lbs. It is always at the end of our nursing sessions when she is comfort nursing. I am not sure what is causing this b/c she already has the nipple in her mouth when she does this. Does it have something to do with gas maybe? Would love to know why myself...

He just turned 1month yesterday - hurts like a bastage tho. Weighed him today and he is 11lbs... cant believe how much weight he has gained. And they say BF babies dont gain as fast as formula babies... yeah... right =p

Anyway - I think part of the issue yesterday is he was overtired (not much sleeping during the day) because he ended up sleeping close to 5 hours before he woke up hungry. He is right now sound asleep in his sling across my lap. We will see if he does the pulling and tugging tnight during his fussy time.

I dont think it is gas related as he doesnt pull his legs up or arch his back, he just tugs back or shakes his head. Tempted to get myself a heating pad so after he ravages one nipple I can soothe it while he goes after the other

Human Pacifier here!
    My DS is 5 months on the 21st of may. He nurses until he is full and often falls asleep on my breast and won't let my nipple go - I try to pull it out *ouch* or stick my finger in the side of his mouth but it just makes him start sucking again or clamp down with his jaws! My son still refuses pacifiers - every brand. It isn't as bad as it used to be - but I'm still his personal sucker!

About your spouse - they are only trying to help - but they really have no idea about what is going on - and when you say you can tell the difference between suckling and nursing - he has NO idea what you are talking about but still tries to offer advice.
    My husband is a wonderful overinvolved father. He offers me advice like he has been doing this for years - He thinks he knows the exact reason why my DS is crying everytime and shows me the proper way to do things and even offers me breast feeding advice. hahaha - Try to understand that your spouse doesn't know what he is talking about but he really wants to help.

I have a slightly different sequence, sometimes when he is fussy and very sleepy, he latches on and starts sucking but then immediatly he lets go and cries out and starts shaking his head and breathing heavily and moving arms and legs, then latches on, and so on and so forth until he gets tired (I guess)... but it makes me feel bad... what if something hurts? what if he needs to burp (but then he won´t fall asleep, and I know that he is sleepy)?

What can I do to help him?

I see a lot of us have the same problem... Please are there any LLL leaders to help us?