Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Doesn't Like Cereal

Question Doesn't Like Cereal

My son is almost 5 months old, has his two bottom teeth and showing a lot of the other signs he is ready to eat. However, he doesn't like cereal at all. I have even mixed it with breast milk and he will not have it. He acts like he wants food when we are eating but won't have the cereal. Any suggestion? I have read that you have to start them on cereal and add other things step by step to watch for allergies. His weight is OK now but the gaining is slowing and he is very long so he looks thinner.

Default Re: Doesn't Like Cereal

Well, have you ever tried it? I wouldn't want it either! Very bland, hehe

5 months is still a bit early for the majority of babies, that might have something to do with it, too- http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/so...ay-solids.html

Remember, breastfed babies experience an array of tastes, so going from bm to bland rice cereal certainly isn't very exciting! Mashed banana and/or avocado are popular first food choices. Rice cereal is highly processed and pretty devoid of any substantial nutrition, so it's not really necessary. It's often recommend by peds because it has a very low chance of causing an allergic reaction.

HTH!

My DS never had cereal. When he was a little over 6 months I let him try some avocado as his first food. He wasn't interested until he was about 8.5 months and could feed himself little bites of food and then he really started going to town!

Maybe he isn't ready for solids yet. We started trying solids with DD when she was around 6 months. She wanted no part of them. She went into lockdown. We kept offering and eventually, she got the hang of it.

We started with bananas, then sweet potatoes, then applesauce, and now oatmeal. She finally is starting to take bites now and we have been at it for almost 4 weeks. She only eats about a teaspoon of solid food that is thinned with BM.

Keep offering, but don't push him! He will eat when he is ready! Weight gain will start to slow around this time so don't worry too much about that. (Our ped warned us about it at DD's 4 month checkup.)You don't have to start him on cereal either. In addition to kellymom.com, check out the information on www.wholesomebabyfood.com

HTH!!!

Don't worry! My dd never has liked the cereals either. Just keep nursing often and try solids again after 6 months. Your baby is getting everything he needs from your milk. There is a lot of pressure out there to start solids early, but if you read up on the subject, you'll find more recent research that discourages introducing solids too early. The other posters have referenced some good sites. Kellymom has lots of recent research on the topic.

We started with sweet potatoes and pear, which are far more yummy than cereal When we did oatmeal (around 9 or 10 months as a breakfast food) I Ojust put regular Quaker oats in the food processor dry to make it fine and then mixed in breastmilk. Since your baby doesn't like cereal with breastmilk perhaps you could try a fruit mix instead... apple or pear tastes good in oatmeal.

I'm not really sure why cereal is so widely recommended as a first food though. It's sort of spackle-like LLL has some good books on whole, natural foods... steamed fruits and veggies are a good place to start!

Sounds like my little one. She is 11 months and would not eat cereal or any baby food for that matter. She wanted what we were eating. I started her on solids at 6 months and would give her things like brown rice , banana or avocado that I mashed a bit with my fingers. My 4 year old was not able to tolerate cereals as an infant and never had them either. Hope that helps!

My daughter never really liked cereal. So after a few times we tried fruit instead (we started with pears, I think) and with fruit it was love at first bite She also liked veggies a lot, but kept not liking cereal. Later on I started making her whole grain ABC pasta or soup and she liked that - same with rice. She was never very picky, she simply didn't enjoy the cereal. Now I think it might be because she didn't like stuff from the box, so with my next baby I'll try making it from scratch.

This is probably just a sign that he's not ready to eat solids yet. If you would like to keep trying, it won't hurt. My daughter showed signs at first as well, but would still refuse the cereal. I was worried about allergies, so I didn't want to give her anything else. Finally she was ready by eight months. Some of her other first foods were banana's and avocados.

First of all, he's kind of young to be starting solids. Usually, they don't have all the signs until at least 6 months. The easiest to recognize is being able to sit up independantly. They can rarely do that before. I started my dd's at 7 1/2 months each.

Here in Europe, they discourge cereal as a first food because they say it's fattening and rice is actually an allergen. They recommend starting with veggies. I used zuchanni (sp?) and then green beans. Because of my first child's allergies, I put my next two straight on to an anti-allergen diet and had no problems with either.

I do recommend avoiding allergens, especially when starting solids, like all avacados, corn and oatmeal. Peas and the whole bean family is to be avoided until they hit 18 months (they're also hard for babies to digest). Full grains, as the case with beans are super-healthy for adults but big allergens and hard to digest for babies. Strawberries, chocolate and exotic fruits like mangos (bananas are alright) were on the list too. My son got a terrible rash from sweet potatoes, which are often toted as a "first food" so be careful of the packaging.

Our ped did special training in children's allergies but boy was he right! Once I served my son lentils. Poor thing didn't do too well. You can't always protect them. He did snag a chocolate off a table once and his face was a mess from it. The next day he had a rash in exactly the same places that were covered in chocolate!

We did really well with green veggies. I think we must have gone through the whole squash family (I recommend baking it, steaming it was messy!). We moved on to fruits like apples, bananas and pears.

But make sure your son has all the signs of being really ready for solids and don't be tempted to start any sooner. There is no advantage to it at all. Today, all three of mine are free of allergies and really good and adventurous eaters.

Good luck!