Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: My baby is a beggar and a snatcher!

Default My baby is a beggar and a snatcher!

This is all new to me, My Ds was not at all interested in food until he got teeth, a bit late even. Dd is not even 5 months old and she watches, grabs, smacks her lips, etc. I feel so guilty not giving her food, yet of course I do not feel she's physically ready. She has no teeth, cannot sit unassisted and cannot make a pincher with her fingers.

Any suggestions to ease her mealtime "pain?" She would be quite angry if she was not sitting at the table with us, but being there seems to frustrate her as well. She tries to eat her toys but that usually upsets her.

This is new to me!! I hope to wait until she has some teeth to introduce solids. For her sake, I hope it is soon.

Default Re: My baby is a beggar and a snatcher!

The following article may interest you for more information ~
    http://kellymom.com/newman/16starting_solid_foods.html

"The best time to start solids is when the baby is showing interest in starting. Some babies will become very interested in the food in their parents’ plates as early as four months of age. By five or six months of age, most babies will be reaching and trying to grab food that parents have on their plates. When the baby is starting to reach for food, grabs it and tries to put it into his mouth, this seems a reasonable time to start letting him eat. There really is no reason to start on a specific date (four months, or six months). Go by the baby’s cues."

Hope that helps!
    Warmly,
    Leslie

Hello!

Do you think your daughter might be content to play with a spoon or maybe a plastic bowl? I also agree with the PP's quote, all babies are individuals!

lots of moms give baby food as young as 3 months, just make sure the cereal is very thinned out with milk, or start with the 1st foods, they're usually "runny" enough for babies to start with. I'd say if she's interested, let her explore with it!!!

Quote Originally Posted by WinterMomma2Two
    This is all new to me, My Ds was not at all interested in food until he got teeth, a bit late even. Dd is not even 5 months old and she watches, grabs, smacks her lips, etc. I feel so guilty not giving her food, yet of course I do not feel she's physically ready. She has no teeth, cannot sit unassisted and cannot make a pincher with her fingers.
    It's so hard to know when is right.

The LLL Philosophies we go by are these:
    Firstly
    "For the healthy, full-term baby breast milk is the only food necessary until baby shows signs of needing solids, about the middle of the first year after birth."
    There are many signs, interest, sitting up un-assited, not doing the tounge thrust, pincher grasp and having several days of increased feedings, that goes beyone the normal growth spurt at that time .

We don't specifically put a date on it, because each baby is so different.
    Secondly
    "Good nutrition means eating a well-balanced and varied diet of foods in as close to their natural state as possible."
    We suggest: mashed over-ripe banana's, pureed cooked sweet potatoes, mashed avocado as babies first foods. We think in quantaties of teaspoons not baby food jars.

Perhaps, she is ready to start, but many of our mothers don't start with a spoon, perhaps just a little in front of her, to play with, during your meal. If she gets a little in her mouth she will not choke on pureed or mashed foods.
    Perhaps trying a bit, and watching her, if she consunes food and gets gassy, it doesn't satisfy her, or it doesn't feel right you can always stop giving it to her. You have the confidence knowing that the majority of her calories are still coming from your breastmilk.

Do whatever works for your family!
    Best of Luck!
    LLL Traci

Thanks. Kellymom's article is the one I read which helped me decide she was not ready.

A bowl and spoon is a great idea, except I think she'd gag herself on the spoon. She is very mouthy with things. I will try a bowl, perhaps an ice cube too.

I just think she is much much too young. I'm not big on mainstream advice, but the one and only thing the nurses told me when Ds was born at a hospital was "no solids for 6 months." LOL. In any case, my marker is the emergence of teeth. Babies are only born with the digestive enzyme to consume milk, but once teeth comes, IMHO, others begin to develop.

Wink Re: My baby is a beggar and a snatcher!

To ease her frustration: Does she sit at the dinner table with you? You said she can't sit unassisted, but I assume she may do all right in a highchair or some other at-table baby seat. Eating is a social thing, too. Let her sit with you and join in the conversation. Let her explore a little with food (at this point, food is a toy that is OK to swallow) put a little mashed banana, avocado, or sweet potato on her tray and let her mess with it. She will be entertained by the texture and smell. She will get it on her fingers and although she doesn't yet have a pincer grasp, she will put her banana fingers in her mouth and WOW! What a fun experience!

LLL Diane

ACK! I would have waited till 11 1/2 months. We are slow teethers! This is what worked for us.
    Sometime around 5-6 months, we started slow, and did not give solids everyday. He also sat on one of our laps because, dinner time is social time and was VERY interested. We played it day by day, and if it seemed he needed solids we gave it to him. He was also VERY independant and would not take a spoon from us. Ironically, now as a nearly 4 year old, I find I physially feed him more than I did when he was a baby, but that may be my lack of patience.

MamaTay

Quote Originally Posted by Sherpa
    To ease her frustration: Does she sit at the dinner table with you? You said she can't sit unassisted, but I assume she may do all right in a highchair or some other at-table baby seat. Eating is a social thing, too. Let her sit with you and join in the conversation. Let her explore a little with food (at this point, food is a toy that is OK to swallow) put a little mashed banana, avocado, or sweet potato on her tray and let her mess with it.
    She does sit with us in her booster/high chair. It reclines slightly. Bad mom confession, I'm not into food fingerpainting. I just don't know what I'd do if I had one of those messy eaters. Ds never was either since he didn't eat until almost one (I did offer some soft/mashed foods sooner, but he wanted nothing to do with it until the teeth popped in and he could have something not mushy). He was a copy cat, almost as soon as he started eating he started using utensils.

ACK! I would have waited till 11 1/2 months. We are slow teethers!
    He got his teeth at 11 months, too! It was WONDERFUL. No "teething" b/c he was too busy with life to notice. No "biting" me either. This is a whole new ballgame. I actually wonder if she might be teething b/c she "bit" me a few times last week. That was a surprise, I must day!

Quote Originally Posted by WinterMomma2Two
    In any case, my marker is the emergence of teeth. Babies are only born with the digestive enzyme to consume milk, but once teeth comes, IMHO, others begin to develop.
    Teeth are not a reliable marker for every baby, though, because it varies. My first daughter got her first two teeth at 7 weeks, followed by the second two at 9 weeks. Conversely, my third daughter got her first two teeth at nine months.

To the OP: you've gotten good advice here. I don't know that I have much to add except to trust that mama instinct!

Jesse