Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Increasing milk supply

Default Increasing milk supply

My baby girl is 4 and half months. I've been breastfeeding her from one breast for the last two months because I had an infection in my right breast and I am not producing much milk now (less than 0.5 oz).
    Baby was doing ok until last week, she was breastfeeding for about 10 minutes every 2-3 hours. The last 4 days she's been breastfeeding for only 5 minutes and my milk supply went down significately. I pump at work every 2 hours (with an electric pump) and I am only getting 0.5 oz to 1 oz each time. How can I increase my milk supply?
    Thanks a lot!
    Last edited by Meghan; May 14th, 2007 at 06:31 PM.

Unhappy Re: Increasing milk supply

Unfortunately I'm not posting any answer, but I too am having the EXACT same problem (with my supply that is). My son is 3 1/2 months old and is taking 6 ounce bottles. When I was on maternity leave, I had an abundant supply of milk and was exclusively breastfeeding. Once I returned to school, My supply decreased for about 3 days (I figured I was stressed about taking him to the sitter's). After that, I was able to pump about 2 ounces each time--taking home about 6 ounces a day and I was okay with supplementing with formula--but in evenings or weekends, it was still breastmilk only. About 2 weeks ago, for some reason, my supply has gone down and I take home about 1/2 ounce MAYBE 1 ounce A DAY....that's 2 pumping sessions. How can I increase my supply....at least enough to still breastfeed in the evenings and weekends???? I've tried the Mother's Milk tea (gross), but saw no increase. I will try ANYTHING!!! THANK YOU!

Default Re: Increasing milk supply

Did you try oatmeal for breakfast?
    And perhaps fenuegreek or blessed thistle tablets?
    You also add an extra pumping session after nursing perhaps...
    Hope you do better.
    Brook

Default Re: Increasing milk supply

Check your pump! Seriously!! You would be surprised at how often a decrease in pump output is related to the pump and not milk production.

Here's some helpful info:
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/pumpwork.html
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/p..._decrease.html
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/lo...ly.html#supply

Smile Re: Increasing milk supply

Thank you very much for the help. I found the articles very interesting and encouraging.
    I have to say that is definitely all about supply and demand.
    I started pumping between every breastfeeding and my supply really increased! I also tried pumping longer, even if no milk came out. Then my supply was adjusted.
    It also helped nursing the baby during the night andhaving my husband bringing the baby to my job at lunch time. We did that for a whole week and also helped us a lot!
    This worked great for me!!! So there is no reason to give up, I think if I was able to do it, many moms will too.
    Working and breastfeeding is possible!
    Thanks a lot for the support!!!
    Imágenes adjuntas Imágenes adjuntas