Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Poop.. lol

Talking Poop.. lol

Not sure *where* to post this, but how do you know when a breastfed baby has diahrea? This is prolly a silly question..But we just had a nursing session, which of course means he let one loose...Well when I changed him, his stool looked more runny, kinda watery like than normal. ( but on a good note we are back to mustard yellow poo!!!! )

Default Re: Poop.. lol

One of my favorite topics! Baby poo!

First off, diarrhea in bf'd babies, like constipation, is very rare. But don't just take my word for it, check this out!

Mother-2-Mother page with a handy link all about POO!

The Poop Scoop: Infant Stooling Patterns

Vomiting and Diarrhea on Kellymom (for if and when this does happen to you )

A quote from the Mother 2 Mother page, just to ease your mind right away:
    It is normal for the stools of the breastfed baby to be mostly liquid, with small curds that resemble cottage cheese (some say it resembles runny egg yolks). It has very little odor. Usually the baby will have a bowel movement each time he/she nurses. It may or may not sound "explosive". These liquid stools are not diarrhea. Diarrhea in the breastfed baby is rare. A baby who has diarrhea would have stools that are very frequent, usually green and full of mucus (and/or specks of blood), and almost always foul smelling.
    Hope that helps!

My LO gets one bottle of soy formula a day....she is 3 1/2 months old and has always pooped multiple times a day (at least two sometimes four or five times still!!!)...my question is that her poop definately smells. It is mustard color and seedy and lately has been more liquidy, she seems totally happy and fine, but it worries me to read that bf poop doesn't smell....could just one bottle of formula make a difference is every one of her poops????

Could be...Soy formula has always given my friends DD horrid smelling diapers! Does she always get the bottle at the same time? How many oz? Are yousure its the poop or maybe its the gas if shes passing gas... My LO can fart and make my eyes water.

Lately my daughters poop has been so watery it soaks the diapers, smelly, and just nasty. Yay for it being back to mustard colord!!!

My DD's poops do have a smell, but it isnt bad. Its kinda like....a strange french toast LOL. My first DD was formula fed and I remember hers being horrible, this time is sooo much nicer to change!

Quote Originally Posted by Mom2_Alexis&Brooklyn View Post
    My DD's poops do have a smell, but it isnt bad. Its kinda like....a strange french toast LOL. My first DD was formula fed and I remember hers being horrible, this time is sooo much nicer to change!
    Yeah, bf'd poop is so much easier to deal with...my brother was switched to formula at 3 mos and jeezalou! The stench!! Breastfed poo has been described as smelling like "curried yoghurt"

Is it "normal" to have poop with every feed? While she is eating?

Quote Originally Posted by CoopersMommy View Post
    Could be...Soy formula has always given my friends DD horrid smelling diapers! Does she always get the bottle at the same time? How many oz? Are yousure its the poop or maybe its the gas if shes passing gas... My LO can fart and make my eyes water.
    Yes she gets the bottle every night at 9:30 or 10...but all her poops smell the same...and I wouldn't describe it as french toast or curried yogurt...they smell pretty bad, but they definately smell worse when they first come out (sorry TMI!)....after about a minute they still smell but not as bad!

I wouldnt worry. My baby had a horrible poo today and it was rather stinky, and he has never had formula.

Also, yes its normal for a newborn to poo at feedings.