Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Newborn resistant...how long to try?

Default Newborn resistant...how long to try?

I am a first time mom of a two week old little girl who is just not interested in taking the breast. She did not latch on immediately after birth and seemed to have a weak suck reflex at birth. Since then, her suck has strengthened, but she doesn't open her mouth when brought to the breast - or if she does, she begins to close her mouth and begins screaming. Her response at the breast is unpredictable. She's nursed about 6 times since birth, always when I'm about to give up There is nothing physically wrong with her-a healthy full-term little girl, she just seems to be content with finger-feeding. I am able to pump plenty of milk for her and have about 50 oz stored in the freezer already above and beyond what she's taking in. However, I'm not sure how much longer I can keep up with the pumping and finger-feeding, as I am so limited in my activities! Even going to church is difficult b/c of how long the feeding/pumping sessions take. I keep hearing that some newborns just wake up one day wanting to nurse. Has anyone had this experience? I'd really love to breastfeed, I just don't know how long this is practical - or if she'll ever pick it up.

Default Re: Newborn resistant...how long to try?

Maybe your breasts are too full for her to latch onto? Have you tried different positions? Does she take a pacifier? Maybe get her to start sucking on the pacifier ( perhaps even add some breastmilk to the nipple of it) and after a few min of suckking, see if she will take the breast? Im also a first time mom to a 2week old. I really enjoy breastfeeding, even though we are having some difficulties... Have you met with or talked with a Lactation Consultant or your local LLL leader? My LC was not near as helpful as my LLL leader. The LLL leader was more than willing to come help me in the home, as my LC wasnt even really interested in seeing me in her office. Keep trying! I know my advice isnt great but I wanted to say you are doing a great job trying already.

My lo will not nurse without a nipple shield. I do not know what your problems are, so I do not know if this would help your lo latch on or not. My baby will actually push the breast away if I am not wearing the shield . This may be something a lactation consultant can help with. Your ped or hospital should be able to recommend one.

Talking Re: Newborn resistant...how long to try?

If you keep at it, especially if you get some help from an LLL leader, it will all fall into place. My LO took several weeks to really learn how to open wide and really suck. We just had to keep at it. And yes, you are going to be sitting and nursing more or less constantly for the first 6 weeks or so. You need that time to rest and practice. Don't sweat not being able to get anything done. In a few months you'll be a pro at reading you baby's cues and making plans around their habits.

Thanks everyone! I've seen several LCs. The most helpful one said she has a 'disorganized suck.'- meaning her tongue has a tendency to get in the way.
    She immediately begins sucking on the nipple shield but promptly spits it out. What's strange is: She latches on to the breast just fine when she's in the mood...
    How long should each latch attempt be? When do I give in?
    Is it really feasible that she'll spontaneously 'get it' one day?

Smile Re: Newborn resistant...how long to try?

Keep with it. I can say it because I was there too!

My LO was a "runt" when she was born. She was 1.5 pounds under birth weight at 2 weeks and consider a "sleepy baby" (she was born a few weeks early). I tried and tried to nurse every time she would wake or every 2 hours. I cried when I failed because if my dog can feed her pups why can't I figure out how to feed my baby - I had ready every book I could find. We were using a cup and oral syringe for the first few weeks but it was it was not working. We ended up starting her on bottles at 3 weeks b/c she feel asleep every time she latched on after 2 or 3 sucks and was still loosing weight.

As soon as we started the bottles she gained a pound in one week and hen started nursing on her own!! Before giving her a bottle I continued to try every single time. I also had a local LLL leader come help me (embarising at first for me to share my breast with others but I got over it). She is now 7 months and has been nursing like a pro since that 3 week mark. I am so happy that I stuck with it - i was very hard and I felt like a bad mom for weeks but in the end it worked out.

I don't know if this helps but if nothing else maybe it ould give you some hope. I wish you and your LO all the best.
    Samantha: born 3 1/2 weeks early on Sept 2006 6lbs 4 oz 18 inches long with situs inversus totalis. Now a strong healthy little girl that wants to be a NICU doctor, loves her little sister and breastfeeds her dolls!
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 2,200 oz
    Alexandra: born 3 weeks early on July 2010 7lbs 8 oz 19.5 inches long.
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 1,200

For information on becoming a Breastmilk Donor http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk