Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 6 mo old, EBF yet low level of Iron?!!

Question 6 mo old, EBF yet low level of Iron?!!

Today we went to Ped's office to get blood test results of my LO and to my surprise we found out that his iron level is lower than wats supposed to be, he told me to increase feeding him solids with Iron.

That surprised me, I read many times that BM got it all. My Lo is 6.5 momths old, exclusivly BF for 6 months, we just started solids, I am intrested in BLW hence he havent eaten much. I read that for the first year solids r for fun and experiment and that BM is the main source of nutrition. So why his iron level is low? does it mean that I dont have enough iron?

If i increased food with iron in my diet would it help my LO? Would it help if I take Iron supplements?

Also, my LO didnt gain a thing in the last 20 days...i noticed that my LO wasnt nursing as much as before, he wasnt emptying my breast and his diper output decreased as well, he was still producin 4-5 wet dipers but they were not as heavy as before, and I have NO IDEA why, he dosent have any medical problame. Could it be out of distraction?

So far I wasnt worried bout my LO not being intrested in Solids, but now I am stressed out...Your advice highly appreciated.

Proud Mother to Ziyad, born naturally, November 3 2006

Breastfed for 26 months and still co-sleeping
    "Do more than belong, participate. Do more than care, help.

Do more than believe, practice. Do more than be fair, be kind.

Do more than dream, work!."

Default Re: 6 mo old, EBF yet low level of Iron?!!

I did a lot of reading on the subject of iron, i will try to shed some light. breast milk has been proven to be nutritionally suffficient for just the first 6 months of life. When baby passes the 6 month line the iron gets depleted, so you will need to supplement by giving Iron rich foods such as turkey, mince meat, with veggies like peas, barrots, spinach. My LO is just 7 months and very petite, so i was worried. My LO has a milk protein allegy so he cant take anything else milk wise (even when you are weaning them, milk is still very much a large part of thier diet, btwn 600ml to 800ml a day) by the way formula is rich in the vitamins and minerals. I decided to not give LO vitamins. I cook all savouries for him, private msg me for recipes if you like. I am right into superfoods. I buy the organix and cowand gate fruit pots, that he has along with savouries.

Quote Originally Posted by Noora_z3 View Post
    Also, my LO didnt gain a thing in the last 20 days...i noticed that my LO wasnt nursing as much as before, he wasnt emptying my breast and his diper output decreased as well, he was still producin 4-5 wet dipers but they were not as heavy as before, and I have NO IDEA why, he dosent have any medical problame. Could it be out of distraction?

So far I wasnt worried bout my LO not being intrested in Solids, but now I am stressed out...Your advice highly appreciated.
    Low iron levels lead to a decrease in appetite, so that may be why you're seeing this pattern.

According to Dr. Sears, incorporating a serving of something with vitamin c helps baby to absorb more iron out of foods. hth

6 months is the time when baby's iron level will hit bottom because the iron deposits he built up in uterus are gone by then. That's why after 6 months, it is important to build it back up by giving him iron-rich foods. The best thing is red meat along with a vitamin c rich vegetable or fruit. Broccoli will be a great addition to red meat in that respect. It is very rich in vitamin C even after it is cooked. Also if you are giving iron-fortified baby cereal you can put some vitamin-C fortified fruit puree or a little bit of juice in it in order to enhance iron absorption (this is really important because if you don't give those fortified foods with vitamin C, only 4% of the iron in them is absorbed.)

I agree with giving your LO lots of iron rich foods. You can also give your LO an infant liquid vitamin with iron. My Ds is also low in iron and I was instructed by ped to give this vitamin to him-infant poly-vitamin liquid drops with iron. I got them at cvs pharmacy and they are the store brand they are over the counter and have the same amount of iron as the prescription ones. If my memory is right they were about $9 or $10.

thnaks all for the reply...I will try my best to increase his iron level by giving him rich iron foods, I hope his sleep improves and that he nurses like before..today again he wasnt nursin well, he hardly had only few sips in the whole evening.....I am getting worried..and I think he peed only twice in 5 hours...hope things get back to normal soooon..

Proud Mother to Ziyad, born naturally, November 3 2006

Breastfed for 26 months and still co-sleeping
    "Do more than belong, participate. Do more than care, help.

Do more than believe, practice. Do more than be fair, be kind.

Do more than dream, work!."